Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Need experts advice on pure lightning sorc

I'm in the progress of making a full lightning sorc based on the guides that are around about full lightning sorces. The sorc is gonna be used purely for keyruns and the occasional Andy, Meph, Pindle runs.

20 charged bolt
    20 lightning
    20 chain lightning
    20 lightning mastery
    20 nova (last synergie I'm going to max)
    1 telekinisis
    1 teleport
    1 warmth
    1 thunderstorm

Now the guides advice block or no block. I'm thinking of making it with no block cuz it leaves more room open for a nice shield with fcr, resists, skills etc. In my opinion a sorc doesn't need block cuz she has a very nice defense handy in the skill of teleport.

But I'm having serious doubts on what to do about armors and energy shield. Is it wise to get one point into shiver armor? Since I'm a full light sorc I don't have points to synergize energy shield. And what about energy? Should I leave it at base? If I leave it at base my sorc will be dependant on +mana items. Will an insight merc cure mana problems with sorc? Since light sorc drains mana like crazy even insight might not work?

I don't wanna screw this sorc up since I don't have that much time to start all over. I'm currently level 20 and haven't distributed too much points yet. Energy is still base. I need some advice on the energy and wether to put one point into energy shield or not? I'm thinkin of about 100 - 150 into energy and use one point into energy shield. But the mana drain will be higher cuz of no Telekinisis synergie. But the sorc is gonna be used in pvm only. For the rest base dex. Enough str for spirit monarch and all the rest in vitality. Am I making a big mistake with this idea? If so, can somone point me into the right direction? Many thx.

IncGamers Member
    Hi,

I'm not an expert, but i have quite the same build you described. The only difference in skill distribution is that i already have that 1 point in mana shield (of course nova isn't maxed yet). I left dex at base, since with spirit monarch there is no use blocking.

I went on high energy build because:
    - no block. No really damage reduction (only 10% from shako, but shako will go when i get griffon), so ranged physical damage would be a problem with a vita build.
    - high level spells needs tons of mana. Better base mana means better mana regeneration. Now it's very ok with insight merc, but i'll swap to infinity asap.
    - mana burn is not a deadly problem, since mana cost of teleport is very low, so i can tele away from them. I have 1 hard point in tele, but +skills from gear, torch, skillers made 1 mana teleport.

She is lvl90 now, ~700 life, ~1700 mana. With insight merc i can cast ~lvl45 chain lightning forever without mana lost. Key finding is easy, Nilhathak's vipers need some care (only merc can deal with them). Nilhathak himself is not a problem if you wear Nature's Peace and don't let you merc kill the minions (tele him back). Minions killed by your merc will be blown into your face... I can solo Baal with that sorc, the only thing that slows me down is ghouls in the Throne of Destruction - they are job for merc again.

One problem with mana > life is Blood Mana. I have Hoto and Prayer merc (Insight doubles his healing rate), so heal regeneration is quite fast, but i usually tp up to town healer.

So if you plan using infinity, i suggest energy build, i you stay with insight, it's all up to you, get some more advice, maybe a full vita build is good. I'm satisfied with my sorc right now.
    I think ~1000 mana + insight will keep you mana high enough to drink rarely mana potions.

kennz

IncGamers Member
    I have a full light sorc as well. I went the vita route (0 points in energy) and I don't have mana problems at all. My merc don't use Insight but I do have CtA which helps with mana.

You don't need shiver armor - the effect of the extra defence is negliable The chilling is nice but if you have enough fcr (you'll wan't 117+ anyway) you should do fine without it.

Unsynergized energy shield is not a good idea with a light sorc - you'll have a high level shield even with 1 point in it resulting in heavy mana loss.

IncGamers Member
    A small question here's that's maybe a bit offtopic but not totally.
    A mod on 'infinity' says '-(45-55)% To Enemy Lightning Resistance'
    I was wondering whether that effects every monsters that spawns in sight of the merc or only the monsters the merc actually hits. In the latter case it would be pretty useless since the merc only hits 1 monster a time and your CL doesn't really benefit from it.

IncGamers Member
    Infinity is used for the conviction.

IncGamers Member
    But the -% light res is only applied to the monster the merc actually hits?

IncGamers Member
    Only applied for the merc. Even if he hits it before you attack it.

I think.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticOrb
    Only applied for the merc. Even if he hits it before you attack it.

I think.
    Correct - it only works for the merc (its the same with all other -res/+dmg items / facets) so it's the conviction aura which is beneficial.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin_Majere
    I have a full light sorc as well. I went the vita route (0 points in energy) and I don't have mana problems at all. My merc don't use Insight but I do have CtA which helps with mana.

You don't need shiver armor - the effect of the extra defence is negliable The chilling is nice but if you have enough fcr (you'll wan't 117+ anyway) you should do fine without it.

Unsynergized energy shield is not a good idea with a light sorc - you'll have a high level shield even with 1 point in it resulting in heavy mana loss.
    So I should forgot the whole idea? What if I put all the points that normally go into vit in energy instead. Sorces get more mana then vita in the end if you put all points into energy because sorc get's more mana then life when lvling up. That should leave me with a huge manapool. Would using a point into energyshield still be useless?

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tillya
    A small question here's that's maybe a bit offtopic but not totally.
    A mod on 'infinity' says '-(45-55)% To Enemy Lightning Resistance'
    I was wondering whether that effects every monsters that spawns in sight of the merc or only the monsters the merc actually hits. In the latter case it would be pretty useless since the merc only hits 1 monster a time and your CL doesn't really benefit from it.
    That's not the reason people use infinity. Scroll down a little bit and you will see the 'Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped'. That will reduce the resistance of all the enemies in the range of conviction.