Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    IncGamers Member Raistlin Majere's Avatar
    When I first saw the thread, it looked to me like. "Woman is kept alive to save unholy baby." :rolleyes:

If anyone was wondering.....

BBC News: Brain-dead woman may give birth
    JUL 24, 2005

A brain-dead pregnant US woman on life life-support has reached the stage of pregnancy where her baby could survive outside the womb, her family says.

Susan Torres, 26, lost consciousness in May after an undiagnosed brain tumour caused a stroke while she was dining.

Her husband Jason asked doctors to keep her on life-support so their unborn child would have a chance to develop.

The foetus recently passed the 24th week of conception - the point at which doctors say it could survive.

"The situation is pretty stable," said Justin Torres, the woman's brother-in-law.

"Susan, we have said from the beginning, is the toughest person in that ICU [Intensive Care Unit] room."

More than $400,000 in donations has poured in from around the world after a website was set up to raise money for medical bills.

Jason Torres quit his job to be by his wife's side, and the family pays thousands each week in medical costs not covered by insurance.

Mr Torres spends every night sleeping in a reclining chair by his wife's bed at the Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington, VA.

While the hospital is not talking about the case, it is thought that doctors would like to hold off on delivering the baby until 32 weeks of gestation.

The full term for a normal pregnancy is 40 weeks.

Since 1979, there have been at least a dozen similar cases published in English-language medical literature, according to research by the University of Connecticut Health Center.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...as/4709237.stm

Published: 2005/07/22 20:20:46 GMT

BBC MMV
    Link

Banned
    Thanks for the update Amra, glad to hear things still seem to be going as well as they can be given the circumstances.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman
    The difference between this and Shiavo is that this woman is going to die in the short term regardless. She has cancer of the everything at this point, so machines or not she is going to die, and soon.
    Without morern medicine Shiavo would have died in the short term a long long time ago.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebo
    Without morern medicine Shiavo would have died in the short term a long long time ago.
    Without modern medicine, the average human life expectancy is for ****.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maccool
    Without modern medicine, the average human life expectancy is for ****.
    A lot of increased life expectancy is also due to better nutrition, rising living standards, education, improved sanitation (probably the biggest one, including medicine) and protection from the elements and world in general.
    The modern medicines that are most responsible for improved life expectancy are antibiotics and immunizations. Not feeding tubes.
    Just because medicine can do something does not mean it should.

In the case of the pregnant woman, I very much doubt she would want to have her child die as well - and her husband who knows her best seems to think so too. I think it is right to do everything possible to save the life of the child, as i cant imagine any parent not willing to do whatever it takes to protect their children. I would not want to be this guy for the world - his wife is going to die, most likely by him turning the switch and the life of his child hangs in the balance.

IncGamers Member
    There is a fund in place. The website is http://www.susantorresfund.org/.

Her brother and father are both members of another website I frequent. This has been a huge blow to their family, but they have hope that the baby will survive.

I don't think this is the same as the Schaivo case at all. In that one, nothing was to be gained by keeping her body alive. Here, a life can be saved, even if the mother cannot. I wish them only the best and I hope that the child is born without a hitch. It is a horrible situation, but at least something happy may come of it in the end.

Well, I guess we can only hope that her husband will find comfort in taking care of the child once it's born. Atleast he'll have a little piece of her with him when she's gone.

If she's going to die, some say, keep her alive and let her die in dignity (although I seriously doubt dignity is an option if you're laying braindead) and others say pull the plug.
    Even after the baby is born, should we pull the plug of wait for her to die? She'll probably still be in the coma, unaware of everything going around her, but yet it still feels wrong to just cut the lifeline of something that is alive...

IncGamers Member
    Everyone's forgetting *one* thing outta all this...

The enormous cost in keeping her alive. Regardless of the outcome, the man and his child will be plunged into relentless debt. Now is that how the wife would want her survivors to live? Having to sell off all their belongings, begging on the street for scraps of food to survive?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D.K.night
    Everyone's forgetting *one* thing outta all this...

The enormous cost in keeping her alive. Regardless of the outcome, the man and his child will be plunged into relentless debt. Now is that how the wife would want her survivors to live? Having to sell off all their belongings, begging on the street for scraps of food to survive?
    Seems like you two haven't met. I'll introduce you.

Thread, D.K.night. D.K.night, thread.

There. Get to know one another. You might notice links to a website where people are donating to the cause, and might also notice the money that they've raised so far so that the family can afford to do this.