Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Help with defending against iron maiden

Hi,

So my pally build, which can be found at http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=351409,
    Is having huge problems fighting monsters that cast iron maiden? What can I do to stop this? more dam reduction? more life? I am really getting frustrated in the chaos sanct and just before baal's minnions. Help!!!!!

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greekscreech
    Hi,

So my pally build, which can be found at http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=351409,
    Is having huge problems fighting monsters that cast iron maiden? What can I do to stop this? more dam reduction? more life? I am really getting frustrated in the chaos sanct and just before baal's minnions. Help!!!!!
    Hehe. Yeah its frustrating isn't it? There really isn't much you can do about this. If you have good base life (around 1.4k or higher) and 50% dmg reduce (the max in 1.10) then thats about your best protection. Remember, Iron maiden makes your attack dmg done to yourself. So when you hit one of those punks with your EbotdZ then its like your actually hitting yourself with it. Its like your dueling another paladin exactly like your own. But yeah, there really isnt anything you can do about it, especially if your using a good weapon

IncGamers Member
    Well i have a zeal-smiter fanatic pally and his weapon switch is specially designed to kill OB Knights and PIs hehe. I use a 'Passion' Cryptic Sword (runes are a joke) and 'Spirit' Sacred Targe (ditto) With these and highlords i have +4 berserk and i just zerk away under Iron Maiden as my physical damage is converted to magical hehe. With PIs i smite and get them stunned then zerk but this is not advisable with Iron Maiden as smite is physical dmg

IncGamers Member

other weapons

Im also currently working on a avenger with botd zerker. I have a few suggestions.

1. try a quick low damage weapon (phase blade) equiped with gems and runes Or magical or rare weapons with elemental damage. then switch to zeal and try to zeal the oblivion knight to death. not entirely reliable but cheap and still works to a certain degree

2. Bows and other ranged weapons with elemental damage, (Harmony RW, Glimmershred, Hellrack, Buriza might work, and bows with gems/rune or magic/rare mods) much more reliable and safe but can be more diffucult to come by. I personally like the glimmershred but i cant use till lvl 70

IncGamers Member
    U can also put in 1 pt in vengence. Use vengence whenever u are in act4 CS. Also make sure ur merc is there to tank, when merc die retreat, revive merc and come back.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by batuchka
    Well i have a zeal-smiter fanatic pally and his weapon switch is specially designed to kill OB Knights and PIs hehe. I use a 'Passion' Cryptic Sword (runes are a joke) and 'Spirit' Sacred Targe (ditto) With these and highlords i have +4 berserk and i just zerk away under Iron Maiden as my physical damage is converted to magical hehe. With PIs i smite and get them stunned then zerk but this is not advisable with Iron Maiden as smite is physical dmg
    Does the passion thing really works?

Passion in a cryptic Sword and Spirit?

Can you do CS single?

Can u leech when using it?

Bert

IncGamers Member
    I would be terribly dissapointed with myself it this combo doesn't work as i would be spreading bad info hehe. In fact Jordy has an excellent 'Relinquisher' guide to the berserking pally Hmm well it works but there are catches :P First a fanatic pally zerking hits at 8fpa zerk - faster than any barb ( 9fpa) but still slow compared to zeal (4fpa) Sure i can do CS but anytime i see OB Knights/Iron Maiden or PIs i weapon switch (slower kill than zeal) It meets my objective of actually killing those darned OB Knights though instead of walking away ^^ Oh i made my Spirit in a 35res all (not quite phoenix/exile material *cough*) sacred targe cos it has highest blocking and one of highest smite dmg. A Kurast/Zakarum looks cooler though. As for leech you cannot leech from beserk but when lifetap triggers (i use dracs) one could leech via smite. Again this is for PIs as smite will kill a pally under the effects of iron maiden. Ideally i would like a Passion berserker axe but i haven't found a 4 sock version to date >.< Another way i could think of to deal with PIs/Iron Maiden (more expensive) is have 'dream' r/w items and conviction up and smack em with a shaels+ele jewels/lightning facets phase blade. Points into resist lightning to synergise the holyshock aura from dream r/w in this case would be best for high lightning dmg.

IncGamers Member

Act 1 Merc

I use an act 1 merc for dealing with IM. She is presently using a BotD Crusader bow and does very well with it. My pally is pure zealot using fanaticism as the main aura.

For crowd control I lure the non-oblivion kights away, switch aura to cleansing to remove IM and then zeal away. Once only OK are left, she takes them down in a couple of shots.

The only setup where this does not work is when Horadrim Ancients spawn with the Oblivion Knights and revive them as fast as they get killed off. I just have to leave those games.

IncGamers Member
    it is kind of risky but most of the time if you run right up to an OK they will cast decr. on you canceling out the IM. so I like to run right up to them wait a sec for them to cast a new curse then kill them decr. has the shortest duration so you a up an running (un-cursed) faster.

IncGamers Member
    I'll bet the Attract charges on Delirium would do the trick.