Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Cow King

Re: The Cow King

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    as for meph, it is possible to get the meph quest completed while in town (i think, unless i had died in doh3-meph area, stayed dead and got quest, than hit escape and transported back to town naked). but getting meph quest complete doesn't help much as u got to go through the red portal in doh3-meph area to go to act 4 anyways.
    Yes, as I wrote already, don't know if I made it clear enough:

2) You or someone from your party (that CAN complete the Q) is in the range of 1 and a 1/2 screens from Meph when it's been killed.

Also by reapeating yourself, I didn't only mean the times you repeat something intentionally, but almost your whole previous post could have been summarized to this sentence:

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post

4. to complete the cow quest u must be IN the cow area and have the cow king get killed by u OR ANYONE who has NOT completed the cow quest yet and it is availalbe to them.
    It pretty much would summarize everything you wrote, not leaving too much out of it

The problem here I see, is that if a new person wants to find some quick info on some topics and reads your posts, they might get a little confused from the overflowing info that they receive. No means to offense you, you write very good english and I can see you have put a lot of thought on these posts of yours, I'm just trying to encourage you to summarize more, which would make your posts more reader friendly *ok too much rambling from me there already, keke*

edit: oh, and I do like your posts and appreciate your work. Hope to see them get even better!

Last edited by TraderScope; 01-08-2008 at 10:50.

IncGamers Member

i'll let u give the short quick answers

sorry, about not reading your post closely. and repeating.

and its a cow GUIDE, its not suppose to be short. i was putting everything u need to know about exactly how cow quest works. for the "noob" who doesn't even know how to create red portal to the long time player who still thinks that unparty makes a difference. explaining how it doesnt by telling exactly how cow quest work. now if only 90% of the d2 players would come to this site and read my cow guide post and believed or test the accuracy of it....instead of making fools of themselves continuing to think that unpartying saves them......sighs....
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    well i learned something about humans from cow quest and them thinking unparty makes a difference:

once humans have a belief ingrained into them, its impossible to "pry it from them" (aka get them to see its wrong) even if its wrong and u show them the evidence or truth for it....

when i try to tell some one how unpartying doesn't save them, i feel like galileo trying to tell the people of europe, the earth orbits around the sun, and not the sun orbits the earth like every single european thought at the time.

people really cling to their understanding of things even if its 100% wrong.......

I can already see an improvement in here, good going

Diablo Classic Moderator

I've read plenty of guides, the cow guide seems pretty compact, to the point and reader friendly to me.

Then again, I'm biased(that's 1 s, not 2 and there's no dash after the i),
    HegemonKhan pays me a lot for every guide of his that I link to.

Classic, where a runeword is a weapon missing the s in the middle.

Its nice to see people are still looking at this. But then its a little funny that after so long the quest is still messed up by so many.

I would guess it has something to do with when someone new comes to the game (yes some people are new to the game) that they are told and retold the same old myths about how things work (or how they think they do) the cow king quest is just one of them.

Like others have pointed out when they try and explain how it works all they get is
    thats wrong...
    no its not like that...
    my friend told me thats wrong and s/he is smart...

its comes down to not as many people play test things they say like they use to when d2 first came out. there are a few but not as many it seems. Then again after so long whats new to find out about the game other then its still can be a lot of fun.

-Tempus-

edit: wow, i was just looking at some of my old posts in this thread and its funny how bad i need to check my spelling...

Last edited by -Tempus-; 02-08-2008 at 07:07.

IncGamers Member

Thanks for your sharing. Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

Last edited by WarlockCC; 10-09-2009 at 10:31. Reason: I don't think we need those spammy URLs

Quote Originally Posted by shtuxbu View Post
    Thanks for your sharing. Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.
    Its nice to see people still find it of use.

AS TO:

the ONE thing i do NOT know about the cow quest:

7. if the cow quest gets completed (by some one else) while u are in cow area but u do not have the cow quest available (have NOT completed diablo quest), than when u do complete diablo quest, can u still make the red portal for cows (the cow quest was NOT completed for u back from before when the other person completed the cow quest) or u can NOT still make the red portal for cows (the cow quest WAS completed for u back from when the other person completed the cow quest) ????
    If that happens, everyone will have the quest counted as completed. Thats often how low lev chars lose the quest. They join cow games to pickup cash items and then when down there someone kills the king.

-Tempus-

IncGamers Member

Quote Originally Posted by -Tempus- View Post
    Its nice to see people still find it of use.
    -Tempus-
    Its most useful, when i happen to play and venture into cows. Almost every pub cow run is full of people that do not know how it works ( yes even in classic) and trying to explain it in the game while cowing at the same time is virtually impossible. They just shout DO NOT KILL KING. And if i proceed to kill it they immediately either drop party or leave game, eventhough i have already explained that it does not matter. So far my only solution has been to encourage them to browse diii.net classic forum and the stickied thread about cow king Q. Maybe some of them will actually believe me and visit this site + read the explanation...

Still, i think the reason why so many do not know how cow level really works is the fact that its not THE end game exp place anymore = its not vital to maintain the ability to open.
    This leads to detoriation of information from the overall pool of players as old timers stop playing or do not bother to share information. Maybe

Awaiting user confirming email address

Any information concerning v1.06 and its relationship to cow-king dynamics?

Upon researching the only things I have found are two conflicting pieces of information:

Quote Originally Posted by http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Cow_King
    Once he is killed, the Portal to the Secret Cow Level cannot be created again in the same difficulty. Unless you have one of the older versions of Diablo II, in the first edition you can open it an infinite number of times on the same difficulty.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.diablowiki.net/Secret_Cow_Level
    The level was amusing, but only a diversion in Diablo 2 Classic, since it could only be entered once per character/per difficulty level. It wasn't very rewarding, other than in laughs.
    So, which one has got it right?

This response isn't specific for 1.06, but here goes.

Only in recent years can you enter thru the red portal to the Cow level if you have not killed Diablo. Nowadays, someone can safely kill the King if he has done so before or hasn't killed Diablo yet in that difficulty. Being able to enter the portal the moment you first enter that difficulty was quite a surprise to many back in the day. In the early years, in 1.08 or 1.09 and possibly before, a 'virgin' could actually kill the King for the first time in your game and even if you were in the Cow level and a 'virgin' also, you could avoid losing the secret quest by being a distance of more than several screens away. But if you were within a couple screens: u lost the ability to make the portal. Many of the Cow King runners in those days had a mh where they could see the position of unpartied players in the cow level, and if some random joined and didn't party made a beeline for the King the game maker would type the name of the next run and exit immediately. Then in 1.09 or 1.10 the immediate area rewarding of the quest was abolished and you would get the secret quest anywhere in the cow level.

Cows very early in the history of D2 gave act1 level of experience. It wasn't until around 1.09 that cows gave an experience close to that of Venom Lords in the cs, hell cows are lvl 78, venom lords are lvl 80, but cows are much much more numerous and are easier to static and easier to kill with elemental damage. I guess with 1.10 or soon thereafter they took all that big exp away from cows, because in Classic and LoD too many people were doing them and ignoring the CS and even ActV.