Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Cow King

IncGamers Member

Re: The Cow King

if I cant open, but they can and they kill, do I lose the ability to open?
    as I understand - I lose it, despite the fact that I cant open

IncGamers Member

yes, that's why i added (even potential) part

Ok, if I am playing with a friend, I get char A to open the portal and r/j game with char B. If me and my friend kills the king, do we get the quest since the portal was opened by my other char?

I am still a tad confused. I know that if you can open and kill king, everyone else loses the ability to open.

So what if the one that opens leaves the game or only stays in town?
    Will the rest who kills the king get the quest?

IncGamers Member

how king and hidden cow quest works and ONLY works:

(lots of misunderstanding with 90% of people who play diablo 2 even after ~10 years after its release. do not believe what u heard or what other poeple say or what u think u know about this. THIS IS HOW THE HIDDEN COW QUEST WORKS. TEMPEST and his guide IS RIGHT, others are wrong)

(hopefully this is simplified, correct, and less confusing than what u read in the thread)

1. if ANYONE kills king for FIRST time (except, a person who has NOT killed diablo yet), than EVERYONE IN cow level gets the cow quest completed and can NOT make cow portal anymore

2. if u have killed the cow king already or if u have NOT killed diablo yet, than YOU can kill the cow king, and the cow quest will NOT be completed, allowing EVERYONE in the cow level who could make the cow portal to still be able to open the portal.

Last edited by HegemonKhan; 24-05-2008 at 05:48.

Town is safe, even in the killing party

Quote Originally Posted by -Tempus- View Post
    Here is one of my old posts about how the Cow King Quest works
    NOTE: when the king is killed by someone for the quest he will always drop 8 stamina pots

The only safe place to be when the king is killed is in town or back in chat. -Tempus-
    I can confirm this. Recently some dumb barb was attacking Cow King. We were partied. I immediately left the Cow level and went to TOWN and stayed there. Kept asking him if King was dead. Finally a yes, and asked what he dropped. He noted that it was mostly a bunch of stamina pots. I went down and didn't see any, but he had to be accurate, for some odd reason he must have picked them up. I can still make cow lvl with that character..

So town, or I guess anywhere else in act1(just not the cow level) is safe to be when King is being attacked.

An aside: I know that some people are unpartied in the chaos sanctuary and still get the Diablo quest. I've seen it happen many times, possibly if they are within the 2 screens of Diablo. If you are further than that, you won't get the experience, and presumably won't get the quest. Normally, town is NOT a safe place to be if you don't want a quest. But I've never heard of an unpartied person getting any quest in town. Each boss has its own rules.

Last edited by Fearlessone; 25-05-2008 at 01:32.

IncGamers Member

bosses and their quests

1. i KNOW diablo and cow king gives quest if u in the area, partied *OR UNPARTIED* (i'm not sure if u ahve to be close to diablo or not, i jsut know u CAN get his quest if u in cs area). the ONLY way to get the hidden cow quest completed (aka can't make portal anymore) is if u are IN cow level. partied or unpartied doesnt matter. u in cow level when cow quest is completed, u get it completed. no more making cow portal for anyone who was in cow level.

2. duriel gives quest to all partied players, even the ones in town.

3. i forgot about meph. i think u have to be in DOH3 (durance of hate 3) and partied to get quest. but maybe u can be partied in town and get quest. i'm leaning against this though, if my memory serves.

4. andarial gives quest if u partied and in catacombs 4.

IncGamers Member

the info in the first post is still correct as of now, right (1.11)?

IncGamers Member

HK's CONFIRMED COW QUEST GUIDE FOR CLASSIC D2

this IS how cow quest works (for the most recent-newest patch, cow quest remains unchanged):

this is all CONFIRMED AS CORRECT and written as clearly as i could:

1. it IS a quest. it's just hidden from the player and not on the quest screen.

2. the cow quest becomes available once u complete diablo quest.

3. once the cow quest is available (completed diablo quest in the same difficulty as u want to do the cow quest in), u need the (wirts) leg from tristram in the same difficulty as u want to do the cow area in and a tome/book of tps and transmute them (wirts leg and tp tome/book) in the cube IN ACT 1 town. this makes the red portal to go to the cow area.

4. to complete the cow quest u must be IN the cow area and have the cow king get killed by u OR ANYONE who has NOT completed the cow quest yet and it is availalbe to them.

this is confirmed by the droping of 7 or 8 stamina pots, since the cow quest is not on the quest screen and greyed out when it gets completed like the other quests.

*the completion of the cow quest is the dreaded: u can NOT make cows ANYMORE status*

5. u CAN kill the cow king and not complete the cow quest by:

5A. not having the cow quest available to u (aka u haven't completed the diablo quest yet and can NOT make the red cow portal)

5B. having ALREADY completed the cow quest (aka can't complete a quest a second time (duh!). u can NOT make the red cow portal)

5C. in other words, IF u can NOT make the red cow portal, u CAN kill king all u want and NOT complete the cow quest. think of it as how u "glitch" the cow king (safely, without completing the cow quest).

5D. the above 5C applies to other people as well. if they meet the requirements in the above 5C, they can kill cow king too and not complete the cow quest either, and everyone is safe just as if u had killed the king while meeting the requirements in the above 5C.

a FALSE/ERRONEOUS/UNTRUE notion of 90% of diablo 2 players:

6. if the cow king killer unparties or i unparty than i am safe from having the cow quest get completed for me (allowing me to still continue to be able to open the red cow portal).

6A. this is DEAD WRONG! this is DEAD WRONG! this is DEAD WRONG!

the ONLY way to be safe from having the cow quest completed for u is to be OUT of the cow area!

let me repeat this a 2nd time:

the ONLY way to be safe from having the cow quest completed for u is to be OUT of the cow area!

let me repeat this a 3rd time:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the ONE thing i do NOT know about the cow quest:

7. if the cow quest gets completed (by some one else) while u are in cow area but u do not have the cow quest available (have NOT completed diablo quest), than when u do complete diablo quest, can u still make the red portal for cows (the cow quest was NOT completed for u back from before when the other person completed the cow quest) or u can NOT still make the red portal for cows (the cow quest WAS completed for u back from when the other person completed the cow quest) ????

7A. anyone who tests this and finds out the answer, let me know and everyone know by posting it here on this thread!!!

at least i will be greatful.

i can also test this if no one will. but it'll take some time getting ready/set up for testing.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    if any of my writing is unclear to u, let me know, and i'll try to put it in a different way that, hopefully this time, makes sense to u. if not, than i'll keep doing so until i find a way of putting it that does make sense to u!!!

Last edited by HegemonKhan; 01-08-2008 at 05:12.

Re: bosses and their quests

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    3. i forgot about meph. i think u have to be in DOH3 (durance of hate 3) and partied to get quest. but maybe u can be partied in town and get quest. i'm leaning against this though, if my memory serves.
    To get the Meph Q completed these requirements need to be met to my knowledge:

1) The Meph Q CAN be completed in the game.
    2) You or someone from your party (that CAN complete the Q) is in the range of 1 and a 1/2 screens from Meph when it's been killed.

Edit: Damn, Hege, your posts keep getting longer again :O A free tip for you if you don't mind:
    You should try to summarize more, although it's nice to see that someone actually puts his/her energy in writing this stuff, you are also repeating yourself sometimes

IncGamers Member

i summarize when i get tired of writing. otherwise, i try to be as clear and detailed as i can, while *TRYING* to keep it as short as i can. i never liked reading something that was too general and sumarizing, that never helped me much. so i "practice what i preach" and try when i write to make it as detailed and thorough as i can so as to actually be helpful to others, though this does have the side effect of being much longer.

as to repeating myself...its either intentional or jsut bad memory and not realizing it. my apologizes for repeating unless it was my intention to do so.

also some times a new person asks about something that has already been discussed and answered else where, so when i help him some times i repeat what i already had posted elsewhere. can't do much when a new person asks a question that alredy been answered. it is kinda a pain to search for a previous post for the answer to a question u got. so i'm a bit understanding and don't jsut tell the person to "look it up" even if it means repeating some responses.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    as for meph, it is possible to get the meph quest completed while in town (i think, unless i had died in doh3-meph area, stayed dead and got quest, than hit escape and transported back to town naked). but getting meph quest complete doesn't help much as u got to go through the red portal in doh3-meph area to go to act 4 anyways.