Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Cow King

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Tempus- View Post
    he lost the quest because the king was killed by someone that could make the portal and he was down there at the time of the death ( in the part or not )

what you are doing thats different then what they did is your char is killing the king but since he cant make the portal yet (bc only in act1 or havent killed d yet) its safe for him to kill the king all you want.

what happenes most of the time is someone else kills the king (that can make the portal) and that messes up everyone else down there. the unparty to kill the king is just bs. it doesnt do anything at all. it just happens to be that the person that unparties cant make the portal. the only thing they are doing when they unparty is taking all the exp from the kills.

-Tempus-
    I may have mis-read his post, but I was under the impression that he also was in the group prior to having completed Diablo when the king was killed, then upon killing Diablo had never been able to make cows.

regardless, the surefire way of knowing if/when a "quest kill" for the king is completed, is to look for 8 tell-tale stamina pots around the king. if one see's them then at least one person completed that quest, and will no longer be able to make cows for that mode of play (norm/nm/hell)

D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368
    Can't you just level a mule to hell cows, have the mule make the game and then leave once the cow portal is up. Then you can kill the cow king as many times as you'd like.

Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

goomba:
    from what i see they all rushed to act4 and he was the only one not to kill diablo (so he can see normal games) when they started the next game to cow one of the others made the portal (since he couldnt/hadnt killed d) now the only one that is safe to kill the king is him (since he hasnt killed d yet)

but since he was down there when the king was killed by someone that could make the portal, he can no longer make it on that lev.

it comes down to this, if you are 100% sure you cant make the tp for that lev kill the king, if you arent sure then park the king some place. its never cool to mess up someones quest.

Dacar92:
    sure that works, but can be a pain unless you have 2 pc to use. i'll do that when i use my chanters. but still there are times when they ask for help (bad tp or something) and when the maker goes down someone kills the king :shocked: and messes it up for everyone.

-Tempus-

IncGamers Member

Re: The Cow King

ok here is my story today i was killing diablo in normal for the 2nd time with some people.

i killed diablo before but that was when the quest could not be done.

then someone accidentaly killed the cow king when i was lvling. i thought is was alright because i have not done the diablo quest yet.

when i tried making the portal today, i cannot.

is it because i killed diablo before even without doing the quest?

IncGamers Member IsThisNamePermanent's Avatar

Two things can happen when cow king dies.

1.) Player kills cow king for the first time, thus removing the ability for the player and every one in the players party to make cows. I often refer to them as virgin cow king killer.

2.) Player kills cow king for 2nd and 3rd and 4th etc. time still has no ability to make cows but if others are partied who can make, does not remove their ability to make cows.

In order to make cows you need these requirements.

Tome of Town Portal
    Wirts leg from current playing mode
    Cube from act2
    Player who has beaten current mode diablo for quest and has not been partied with a virgin cow king killer.

Use this information to figure out what scenario happened to you.

IncGamers Member

according to you i must have completed the diablo quest and someone killed the king but i just played today morning i killed diablo and my quest is done i rejoined the game when the timer is up but when i rejoin, got the leg and tried to make the portal i cannot. i think i will go try agin now or i must make a new character.

Diablo Classic Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisNamePermanent View Post
    Two things can happen when cow king dies.

1.) Player kills cow king for the first time, thus removing the ability for the player and every one in the players party to make cows. I often refer to them as virgin cow king killer.

2.) Player kills cow king for 2nd and 3rd and 4th etc. time still has no ability to make cows but if others are partied who can make, does not remove their ability to make cows.

In order to make cows you need these requirements.

Tome of Town Portal
    Wirts leg from current playing mode
    Cube from act2
    Player who has beaten current mode diablo for quest and has not been partied with a virgin cow king killer.

Use this information to figure out what scenario happened to you.
    Very nice and detailed description. From my tests I did find that in case 1, anybody in the cow level gets the quest, regardles of party status.
    And to add some info to that, in case of 1, there will be 8 or so stamina potions dropped by the King.

Classic, where a runeword is a weapon missing the s in the middle.

IncGamers Member

So if any "virgin" (someone who still hasnt done the quest) kills the cow king, all virgins (even those who have not killed diablo) lose the ability to open the cow level?
    I always understood it this way

Diablo Classic Moderator

No, if you have not killed Diablo for the Diablo quest on that difficulty, you cannot get the quest. You could be the one killing the king, watching, in the party, out of the party, in town or elsewhere, you can not get the quest and you cannot cause others to lose the quest if you have not gotten the Diablo quest.

Classic, where a runeword is a weapon missing the s in the middle.

IncGamers Member

in simple words:
    if u can open and kill king, everyone in cow level loses the (even potential) ability to open
    if u can't open nothing happens

u can open after scoring d on that difficulty