Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cow King

The Cow King

Here is one of my old posts about how the Cow King Quest works

Its funny that after all this time people still dont know how this works. I play more D2C then LOD but even there you find so many people that seem to mess this up all the time. Even with the changes to how it works in 1.10 vs 1.09

Here is some info on how on how it works in 1.10

You need the leg from that lev of game. If the leg is from a different lev game then it will look red and wont work.

To make the red portal you have to have killed Diablo in that lev game.

To enter the red portal you can be any lev and dont need to killed Diablo in that lev game. (that changed from 1.09)

To take a party members TP (blue) you need to kill Diablo in that lev game.

Low levs chars get next to no exp in any cow game untill they get to the mid 20's

High levs get very little exp in hell cows after they hit mid 80's If you have a good 8 person party you could still lev there at 87-88 but you could lev faster doing river/cs games.

KILLING the KING: in 1.10 (cow king quest)

The key to this is the char that gets the last hit on the king (killing blow) and if that char can still make the red tp or not.

If that char can still make the red portal then everyone thats down in the cow lev will lose the "cow king quest" IF THEY ARE IN THE PARTY OR NOT

If the char that gets the last hit on the king CANT make the red tp then everyone is safe.(then have killed the king for the quest in a different game, were in the cow lev when the king was killed someone doing the quest or havent killed diablo in tha lev game)

Now if you take a char that hasn't killed Diablo in that lev game (they cant make the tp) that char can kill the cow kill all they want and not lose the quest.

If you have a lev 60 char that just started hell and is only in act1. They have not killed hell Diablo so they can't make the red tp, so it is safe for them to kill the king all they want untill that char does kill hell diablo. Then its no longer safe for them to kill the cow king. That works as long as they never are in a game where someone else kills the king for the quest.

NOTE: when the king is killed by someone for the quest he will always drop 8 stamina pots

The only safe place to be when the king is killed is in town or back in chat.

-Tempus-

hm.. nice guide. i've only briefly skimmed it. did u post it in the classic forum b/c its different than LOD cow lvls?

also a mod should sticky this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mhl12
    hm.. nice guide. i've only briefly skimmed it. did u post it in the classic forum b/c its different than LOD cow lvls?

also a mod should sticky this as well.
    i first posted it over in the LL because people were asking about it and they couldnt seem to find the old posts. i also posted here a few times and over at the AB.

playing both LOD/D2C i still find people that will unparty when someone is killing the king (but they dont goto town) I also join games all the time where you see the 8 stamina pots on the ground (around the cowking) and after you tell them what happened all they do is spam noob junk.

the quest works the same for LOD as D2C its just you need to do baal there.

other things you see all the time are people that gem wirt's leg.

one thing i still need to test is doing the stones to free cain but dont free him. this shouldnt work but i havent had time to prove it yet. they must think it works like the halls of pain waypoint and killing Nat.

-Tempus-

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Tempus-
    playing both LOD/D2C i still find people that will unparty when someone is killing the king (but they dont goto town) I also join games all the time where you see the 8 stamina pots on the ground (around the cowking) and after you tell them what happened all they do is spam noob junk.

-Tempus-

It is just amazing how many people on battlenet don't understand this! They also don't comprehend about killing the king when you haven't killed Diablo (or Baal) in that level as you commented on.

Perhaps, at least, some of our forum members will read this and learn about the cow level.

D3 Amazon &
    Demon Hunter Moderator
    BattleTag Dacar92-1368
    This question is constantly asked here. I think it is time to bring it back up top and sticky it in the build guide thread.

Thanks to Tempus for digging it up.

Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
    Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!

Quote Originally Posted by -Tempus- View Post

one thing i still need to test is doing the stones to free cain but dont free him. this shouldnt work but i havent had time to prove it yet. they must think it works like the halls of pain waypoint and killing Nil.

-Tempus-
    oh i did test this out a while ago on one of my mules, and it didnt work. no big shock there, something else i'll test when i get time is not having any waypoints in act 1

-Tempus-

Diablo Classic Moderator
    Afaik it really is as simple as you describe above, Tempus, regardless of cain status, stone status or WP status.

The following is simply a re-wording of what Tempus typed in his OP :
    Killing the king on a difficulty while your king quest is open and you killed diablo on that difficulty will get you and all the people in the moo moo farm the quest.

Perhaps we should write it is prerequisites, since some prefer that form.
    These are the prerequisites for finishing the quest for you and any other individuals in the cow level. This includes people not in the party.This means you will be unable to open any other cow portals on that difficulty :
    - killed diablo in that difficulty
    - never killed the king in that difficulty
    - never been in a moo moo farm field while a first kill was committed(This is the difficult part, most people don't even know they have been 'helped' to get the quest)
    If you kill(last hit) the king with those prerequisites, your cow king quest and that of the other people in the moo moo farm will be finished/done/closed.

Quote Originally Posted by WarlockCC View Post
    Afaik it really is as simple as you describe above, Tempus, regardless of
    - never killed the king in that difficulty
    the problem with wording it like that is it seems everyone forgets about the killing diablo(baal) part.

i'm sure a lot of people lev their chars something like i do. lev in act1 untill ~12, lev in act2 untill 20-24, goto act3 after that or lev in cows untill 30. since a char made like this isnt even in act4 yet and hasnt killed the king (so cant make the red tp) they can kill the king all they want and no one will lose the King Quest. yet that goes againt the "never killed the king in that difficulty"

the same king of things happens in NM games. once i have a char at +30 i'll finsh off normal and lev in nm games (or go back and make normal cows) since this char is only in nm act 1-2 (love nm arcane) they can kill the NM cow king all they want and not mess up the King Quest for anyone.

i think its best to just say if you are 100% sure you cant make the red tp in that lev game then kill the king. if you dont know, stay away from the king.

-Tempus-

MT: "i hate killing cow king now i cant make cows"

the king is a great boss to kill for drops in any lev game. you can also use the barb's FindItem skill on him to get a 2nd full drop. killing the king isnt the problem, its when he is killed by someone that doesnt know how the quest works that messes it up.

-Tempus-

IncGamers Member
    i hate killing cow king now i cant make cows

Diablo Classic Moderator
    You have to be a bull or a cow to make cows.