Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

OMG/WTF?! Want To Fight A Chimera... In Real Life?

Animal-Human Hybrids Spark Controversy
    Scientists have begun blurring the line between human and animal by producing chimeras—a hybrid creature that's part human, part animal.

Chinese scientists at the Shanghai Second Medical University in 2003 successfully fused human cells with rabbit eggs. The embryos were reportedly the first human-animal chimeras successfully created. They were allowed to develop for several days in a laboratory dish before the scientists destroyed the embryos to harvest their stem cells.
    But could you really hurt a bunny-woman?

I don't need to ask if people here would mate with any such thing given the desperation shown in the alien poll.

How's this for Meet the Parents...
    For example, an experiment that would raise concerns, he said, is genetically engineering mice to produce human sperm and eggs, then doing in vitro fertilization to produce a child whose parents are a pair of mice.
    And what are we going to do tomorrow night?
    Weissman has already created mice with brains that are about one percent human.

Later this year he may conduct another experiment where the mice have 100 percent human brains. This would be done, he said, by injecting human neurons into the brains of embryonic mice.

Furries the world over are jumping with joy.

:shiver:

IncGamers Member
    I tend to have no true ethical problems when dealing with animal research or genetics. However this, to me, is beyond the pale. At what point do we categorise an animal with human genes, Human? It's a slippery slope and we should back away from it.

Dangerous research that.

Animals don't need human brains....didn't any of you see Dr. Doolittle?

IncGamers Member

Bellerophon

It's the Island of Dr. Moreau!

Seriously though, there are benefits when we defy nature and play God. We make monoclonal antibodies from the creation of chimaeras (using mouse and human antibodies in a recombinant form, we make a potent anticancer drug that is extremely selective and not systemically toxic as is the case with typical antineoplastic agents). But I can't see the need for the level of genetic manipulation that they are proposing.

Actually, the more I think about this, I wish my cat was smart enough not to puke on my desk and crap on my floor...

IncGamers Member
    Gives new meaning to the title Playboy Bunny.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Shinnok

Sometimes scientists have to disregard everything they have learned to delve into deeper and more powerful science. Dr. Moreau just became too powerhungry with his creations. .

IncGamers Member
    So all the nerds that read about mythical beasts became scientists and are doing this eh? Fine, let them do what they want. I just wanna see all the super diseases that come about from all this stuff.

But would I ever want a bunnywoman.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Shinnok
    Yeah -- imagine having smart Playboy Playmates for a change. Oops. I hope Hugh isn't a member of these forums or anybody dating a Playboy bunny, for that matter.

**starts running away as fast as I can**