Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 2 of 64 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    Stone would be a nice runeword for a merc. Remeber that +vit doesn't work on mercs (and the charges would be worthless, too), so it may be a little expensive for what you get. The fhr, defense and resists are still very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cromlis
    Hmm you said in the skills section,

prereqs 4

Does that basically mean firebolt 4?
    No, that means one point in each of Fire Bolt, Inferno, Blaze and Fire Wall - all necessary to get Meteor.

IncGamers Member
    [QUOTE=sasja]Stone would be a nice runeword for a merc. Remeber that +vit doesn't work on mercs (and the charges would be worthless, too), so it may be a little expensive for what you get. The fhr, defense and resists are still very nice.QUOTE]

Well, The fhr is just sick, 60 fhr. The defence is also sick (around 3k). The defence vs. missiles is also really good. The res isn't that good, but it helps a merc at a decent lvl to reach maxres (75 all) in hell. And it's not that expensive, if you compare with enigma and chains of honor... if you ask me, stone is alot better for mercs than enigma and chains of honor. And it's alot cheaper. It rox! :yep:

IncGamers Member
    So, no ES and no TK?

Because this is mainly for SC...or because this build is very tight on skillpoints?

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by det
    So, no ES and no TK?

Because this is mainly for SC...or because this build is very tight on skillpoints?
    Cut and pasted from the guide:
    Quote Originally Posted by sasja
    Why not energy shield - that was a stable on the damage reduced sorceress, I hear some complain. Two reasons not to use it:
    1) The synergies have put too much strain on the sorceress' skill points to splash out 4 points to get Energy Shield.
    2) Even though I've found an orb with Energy Shield on it, I only use it for special occasions. The reason is that your energy shield absorbs elemental damage before your resistances are checked, meaning that your mana bulb is drained in absolutely no time, especially with a low energy build like this. If you have 75% lightning resistance, and you take 500 lightning damage, you'll actually only take 125 damage - harsh, but survivable. If you were using Energy Shield, the same attack would have drained 1000 mana - or your whole bulb, making you unable to attack or teleport to safety. So if you have high resistances (and you should) Energy Shield can be more of an inconvenience than anything else. Still, if you feel you can't live without it, get it on an orb on switch.
    In other words, this has nothing to do with hc/sc. If you really want ES, I suggest you go single element or restrict yourself to soloing. But my own opinion is that it's not worth it - even in hc. I'd only ever consider it for an untwinked pure Orber who really does have the points to invest in TK and may have difficulty getting high resistance from gear. If you can twink, high res, max block and pdr are really all you need to stay alive. You'd also have to invest a lot in Energy, which is really useless for an Orber and means that you'd probably not reach max block, which I think does more to keep you alive. Bottom line: for an untwinked, pure orber, think about ES (max TK). For anyone else, forget about ES.

IncGamers Member
    Tsk...I was so sure I read the complete guide..how did I miss this obvious bit of info. I think it was the part of it explaining how elemental damage is absorbed and I was only thinking of physical damage.

Thanks for clearing that up...I am indeed going for the no-ES build now, which friends of mine think is suicidal.

Then again, they only build sorcs to tele and first drop either Baal or Meph...

IncGamers Member
    Question: You advocate dumping several points into Dex. Personally, I don't really like this as it locks you into the orb/shield builds. I am currently building this sorc and simply investing in life, which seems beneficial. I usually keep the shield for their bonuses rather than for the actual dex. Also, there are several staff's that are actually very good if not better than some orb/shield builds.

Basically, you don't really adress the issue of staffs or two-handed weapons and all and was wondering what your opinion on these was.

BattleTag melianor-2318
    I'd like to add mine and i'd say the only viable Staff option taht exists would be Mang Song's Lesson, which is VERY hard to get by, since its very very rare to drop.

Then there is Ondal's Wisdom, not bad on +skills and FCR but thats about it. Well oaky its the favorite exp-leech staff around. But thats no credit in my view.

Razorswitch is the BEST midlvl staff you can get for lvling! But as end gear with jst +1 skills if you can afford somethign better? Certainly not. Mid-lvl this staff has ANYTHING you want. Skills, massive life, massive mana, good fcr, MDR, ....

Chromatic Ire, not shabby, since it adds good life , resistances and skills.

Warspear is one nice Energy Shield prebuff staff, but thats about it.

The deal is with most orb/shield combinations you can get better mods. So the focus seems placed here.

Nevertheless playing with a staff is certainly an option and then you will put all points into vitality since you cannot block with a staff.

The main reason the whole orb/shield combination is used is NOT only for the mods, but for going the max-block route, which is not a must ofcourse, but max-block provides some good protection, since basically you get hit just once out of 4 times with 75% block.

Digging deeper into the issue if Vitality or dex with max-block is better is not something i would discuss since i consider them both equally. Its just what suits your play-style better in the end, since both work well, which countless vita or block sorceresses can confirm.

I would REALLY once like to build a staff sorceress with Mang Songs Lesson and make her an Archmage!

IncGamers Member
    This is my first post on these forums. I recently made my first ever sorceress and I used this guide. She just finished nightmare and is moving up to hell. I'm not very rich so I can't afford many, if any, of the top items in your equipment section. I do have Bone Hew, that was given to me. I really have to say great job and thank you for your advice and build.

BattleTag smatthew-1262
    I'd just like to say that this build is very viable in hardcore. I followed it exactly and used it on a full tal's sorc...and she is basically the most powerful/durable sorc I've ever made. Along with the items this build will work great in hardcore, as long as you have the vitas to back her up. My sorc has 1.9k life/1k mana (cta on switch), full block, ~11k meteor/5k fireball/480 orb. I find that for her purpose (solo baal'ing) I use fireball more than meteor, so I did take the advice to put some in firebolt instead of FM. Anyway, I'd just like to say thanks for the great build, it's gotten me lots of level and items from baal and his friends!

IncGamers Member
    edit: re-read it, realized i was reading your explanation incorrectly. ignore this post