Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Windows Service Pack 2 - Problem

Well i just d/led this lil update, restarted, then left to go mow.

I come back and it's at my login screen. I type in my password, yadda yadda. My desktop appears, and then an error box saying there's a problem with explorer comes up, and now explorer wont run. I get angry, try to boot up in safe mode, and it wont even run in safemode. Now im angrier.

Im thinkin the problem is that i a little while earlier after reading Corneo's thread on how to change the word on your start button, i decided i'd change mine too. That's the only thing i can think of, matter of fact, during the install of the service pack that sprung into mind and i was hoping there wasn't gonna be a problem.

I had another guest account on my machine and that doesn't work either. The error report shows "initiumexplorer.exe" being the problem. And that's what i renamed my explorer file to, so it knows it's there.

Anyone else have any probs with this update? I looked under microsoft's support site and all that jazz and couldn't really find anything pertinent. Im gonna do some more digging, but if anyone here has any info that'd be great.

Peace.

Banned
    It's usually a good idea to do a clean install between major updates like this because, in this case, SP2 might not like your setup.

Or you could try the network install rather than the express one...but so far clean installs (or just reinstallation) have fixed most of these odd problems with SP2

IncGamers Member
    I can't install anything tho, i can't get to windows. It just sits on my desktop w/ no icons and explorer wont run.

We have another pc in the house, that's how im posting here btw.

Banned
    got the installation disc? you don't need to login or anything..just need to be able to boot and get into your bios.

IncGamers Member
    hmm yeah i can get into my bios, dunno where to go from there tho. I haven't really messed with a lot of this stuff.

And yeah i have my install disk.

Are you talking reformatting? Cause i'd really really like to avoid that at all costs.

Banned
    well..yeah i thought you figured that...ok I'll try to explain

SP2 = major upgrades
    major upgrades = almost a new operating system
    Windows = doesn't handle upgrading operating systems well

So..a clean install would be the best solution. Since you got two comps..just network then and transfer all your important files and wipe. If you don't want to then....what's the exact error? initiumexplorer.exe doesn't exist on google

IncGamers Member
    Yeah, i got confused when you said clean install. Thought you were talkin about reinstalling the service pack, then about midway through what i was typing i realized you were prolly talking about reformatting and reinstalling windows.

Im temporarily at my 'rents house while i go to community college to save some cash, and we got both pc's through a router. Prolly wouldn't be a big deal to network, but my dad is insanely paranoid of anything going wrong with stuff, and it's not my router so i have to respect that. That, and this PC is still on '98 and i had some major probs trying to network these pc's together awhile ago, and couldn't get it done.

I think im just gonna sit here and pout for a little while longer until my bro returns my call.

Thanks for the help tho, hopefully i can get this problem worked out. But i have a feeling im gonna be removing my hard drive and backing it up somewhere else... humm.. stupid microsoft... (prolly stupid me ;p)

edit:
    Now that i think about it, networking them together would be impossible because my other machine has been rendered useless..... son of a...

Banned
    you could always take it out and put it in the other tower as a slave and transfer data directly....but if you don't want to mess with the hardware stuff then good luck

IncGamers Member
    yeah, that's my plan if i can't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar
    hmm yeah i can get into my bios, dunno where to go from there tho. I haven't really messed with a lot of this stuff.

And yeah i have my install disk.

Are you talking reformatting? Cause i'd really really like to avoid that at all costs.
    I had a problem installing SP2 on my laptop because I was using a custom boot screen however it didn't cause as much trouble as it sounds like you are having but it is probably, as you have guessed, because you modified a Windows system file.

The need to get into your BIOS is to set it to boot from your Windows CD to run Repair/Recover. Here's Microsoft's solution:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...t=windowsxpsp2

Above is for removing your failed SP2. The following will tell you how to repair your XP to restore any system file(s) you altered so you can retry upgrading with a much better chance of success:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;315341