Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Need Hlp with MF barb

My barb dies a ton and can hardly ever kill hell meph.. I followed the standard advice (or .. i think I did) so I'm not quite sure why hell meph owns him so much... I get killed in like 3 hits from meph. I have about 20% combined life leech I think.. but doesn't seem to help. I'm using the Unique Cryptic Sword (ladder item?) as main and dual babas for kill.
    Keep in mind i'm kinda a newby so I don't have much good gear :P

Here are his stats and such.. stuff in parenthsis is either with gear or Warcry bonus.. I'd really appreciate any advice

Lvl 72

Str: 110
    Dex: 107 (129) Defense: 733 (1410)
    Vit: 170 Life: 857 (1671)
    Erg: 14 Mana: 160 (312)
    Unused: 39

Zerk AR: 3065 Dmg: 335-1989 (335-2039)
    WW AR: 2212 Dmg: 301-1463 (301-1495)

15 WW
    8 Zerk
    6 Nat Resist
    20 Battle Orders
    20 Sword Mastry
    1 in prereqs and Speed/Battle Command

Hell Resists:
    F -18
    C 4
    L 4
    P -18

Thanks,
    ichor

IncGamers Member
    no wonder you get your butt kicked, you have poor resistances. You should at least have that up to 50% resist all against meph seeing as his attacks are mostly elemental. You don't list your gear, so I don't know what you have to be improved upon. Leech doesn't help against meph or other act bosses usually, because it's been badly nerfed. Your life is a bit low too, try to get charms and put your points into vit to boost your life to over 2k at least.

IncGamers Member
    Btw, why did you put 6 pts into Natural Resistance? 1 pt is enuf. And you can save pts to put into Shout to boost ur def.

IncGamers Member
    6 pts into natural res is a little much, but considering this is virtually untwinked it's acceptable to put as much as 5 into it. 5 is pushing it though.

Since he is building a zerk barb, def = squat most of the time, but shout does make a great synergy to zerk for dmg.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

As Gui stated,your resists are your immediate problem.Particularly cold against mephisto.I believe its largely because of your gear.Perhaps u aren't getting resists from anywhere apart from shield.You are using a shield right?

The other issue I see is ur build is getting open-ended somewhat,which with the gear you have is suicide.Apart from over-investing in nat resists,you are pumping two combat skills simultaneously.You should have maxed out ww,placed one into zerk & pump up shout for defense as well as zerk damage.You hit two stones with one bird that way.

If I were u I would dismantle him.hard choice.

Rik.

edit:welcome

IncGamers Member
    Wow, kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm not sure that I would give up though. I think your build is definately salvagable.

First place to start, is your gear, which you didn't list. Besides Battle Command, I'm assuming you have some additional plus to skills? If so, I would probably make a decision to use either Concentrate (20 BO Synergy and a couple of +skills makes one point just fine) or Beserk against the boss. Looking at your dex, I'm going to guess that you aren't anywhere near max blocking, so I might lean towards Concentrate.

WW is a great general ability, but I'm not sure that I would use it on a boss. Between Shout, IS, and the defense bonus from Concentrate, you may be better off using that, as stated above. Beserk might be the way to go if you had max blocking, but as it stands, I'm guessing that you block 45-50% of the time, and you will always be getting hit because of no Defense. Heck, it is possible that you aren't carrying a Shield. If that is the case I might still go with Concentrate.

Mephisto in Hell is 50% resistant to Magical Attacks, but only 20% resistant to Physical. This will give Concentrate (with 1 point) an edge over Beserk (with 8 points), and like I said, both are probably better than WW.

You have 39 unused Stat points. Pushing 20-30 of those into Vitality will help some, but obviously it is your resists that may be causing you problems. Unfortunately, there isn't much help I can offer you there.

But take heart! My current Assassin is the same level as you and she can't even make it to Mephisto, or Act III for that matter! I choose to build her without twinking, so like you, the gear she has is the gear she has found. I would say, given your situation, you are way ahead of the game even with the difficulities experienced in taking on Mephisto!

EDIT: You may have to do what I am having to do which is go back and do some MF runs, even with bad MF or slow MF, and get some better gear.

IncGamers Member
    Daaaamn, Braed. He's already sunk 23 points into two combat skills and you want him to spend more points into conc? The way to go is to max shout, then he'll have a decent zerk and decent def when using ww. His skills are already screwed up enough, it's not suicide yet though. If he were to sink more points into a third skill, then it would be suicide.

btw, max blocking is MUCH more effective with conc, since it is an uninterruptible attack. Often, with zerk, you can get blocklocked when you get swarmed, which is all bad.

Your bias towards conc sadly underrates ww and zerk. Both are fine skills which are plenty capable of handling bosses just as well as conc. zerk can actually be a better skill than conc against bosses, since often the bosses will attack with elemental attacks where a shield and defense mean nothing anyways and zerk gets a much bigger ed% bonus than conc. That makes the magical resistance a moot point.

:cheesy:

I was surprised too, that conc was put forward.he has 15 into ww already & 8 into zerk-he is going nowhere-except if someone donates botd,duress etc...

If he manages to find half decent gear like kingslayer highland or something,it can be carried forward by some toiling-otherwise it has to be dismantled.

Rik

IncGamers Member
    Blarg. I don't know if its just bad timing or what, but reading comprehension these last couple of days is running on E right now.

I never said for him to put anything into Concentrate. He has already spent one point, he has an additional point because of BC and I asked him if he had any more +skills. Plus he has BO maxed, as a Synergy.

He wants to beat Hell Mephisto. I was working with what he had, which was 15 WW, 8 Beserk, and 1 Concentrate.

Rather than go too in-depth here, I'm going to give you the stats after adding one point to each of those skills for BC.

16 Effective WW
    Damage: +70 percent
    Attack: +75 percent

9 Effective Beserk
    Attack: +220 percent
    Magic Damage: +280 percent

2 Effective Concentrate
    Defense Bonus: +110 percent
    Attack: +70 percent
    Damage: +280 percent
    Uninterruptable Attack

21 Effective in Sword Mastery
    Damage: +128 percent
    Attack: +188 percent
    21 Percent Chance of Critical Strike

Mephisto - Hell Level
    Magic Resist: 50
    Damage Resist: 20

So yeah, with what I know he has, I'll take Concentrate, even with the smaller AR over Beserk, which has half of its damage mitigated by Mephisto's resists. And yes, I'd take both of them over WW on a single mob.

Sure, Concentrate and Zerk are a wash against elemental attacks. But against the Physical attacks he will have zero defense with Zerk, which is doing less damage (which in turn means he is taking more hits over the life of his fight with Mephisto) and a Defensive bonus of 110 for Shout, 40 for IS, and 150 for Concentrate, or 300% if he uses Concentrate.

Personally, no I wouldn't have built my character to be where he is today with 15 in WW and 8 in Beserk at level 72. But that is what he has, and that is what I responded to. He has another 8-10 levels before exp slows to a crawl, which is plenty of time to supe up WW or Beserk, at which point, yes, Concentrate is not a very good option. Therefore I think his character is going to be fine.

But I stand by my call that RIGHT NOW with what he has and what he is trying to accomplish, Concentrate is his best bet with Beserk a close second and WW a distant third.

Wel..actually it was pay day & I was in a hurry.(pro slacker btw)
    But its true,I just read gui's post, So,I'll just move out of the spotlight & let him explain his booo booo!

Rik