Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    33,220

    Strange phenomen when posting

    Did anybody notice this ?

    1. Start a thread or reply to one.

    2. Type a couple of sentences and wait 10-15 minutes

    During that my computer gets slower and slower. After half an hour my computer at at home gets so slow that I can type 10 faster than the characters appear on the screen. when I'm done with that (i.e. the post/reply page is closed), everything is fine again.

    This happens both on my computer at work (WinXP) and at home (good old Win98). Both systems are up to date with respect to Windows upates. I assume this is a bug in the Internet explorer which appeared with the latest IE patch.

    It happens again right now...

    My guess is that the smileys to the right slowly use up computer ressoucres (gfx board memory perhaps ?).

    Does anybody else encounter that problem, too ?

    As I'm already in a complaining mood, sometimes the Del button doesn't work, so I have to move the text cursor right of the text to delete and press the backspace key. It's a little annoying...




  2. #2
    IncGamers Member Drosselmeier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,168
    No problems here... but then I'm not using IE. You need to get yourself a better browser.




  3. #3
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    911
    Download Firefox at www.mozilla.org.




  4. #4
    IncGamers Member Drosselmeier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,168
    You might want to strip IE from your desktop as well. Word has it that some of the features of IE that are built into the desktop opens up your computer for attacks even if you don't use IE for browsing. I've heard other reasons to get rid of it but can't remember any right now. It's supposed to be a good thing to get rid of IE completely, is all I really know, and I can't imagine it being a bad idea in any way.

    I used a script called "IEradicator", and it worked fine for me. You might want to think twice about running it though. There is no guarantee that it won't kill your computer.
    I think you can do it manually, but it's probably fairly tricky.




  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    27,981
    I also noticed that the Pc I use at work will freeze solid if I type out long winded response. I usually have to re bioot the dratted thing.

    Typical county property :rolleyes:




  6. #6
    Europe Trade Moderator krischan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    33,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Drosselmeier
    You might want to strip IE from your desktop as well. Word has it that some of the features of IE that are built into the desktop opens up your computer for attacks even if you don't use IE for browsing. I've heard other reasons to get rid of it but can't remember any right now. It's supposed to be a good thing to get rid of IE completely, is all I really know, and I can't imagine it being a bad idea in any way.

    I used a script called "IEradicator", and it worked fine for me. You might want to think twice about running it though. There is no guarantee that it won't kill your computer.
    I think you can do it manually, but it's probably fairly tricky.
    Before doing that and risking to have to reinstall Windows and everything, I will wait a little for further opinions, I guess

    At the moment I copy the text into the clipboard and press the back and the forward button and the resources are freed again (and wasted again soon :uhhuh: ) - or I do all typing in a text aditor.

    I guess I should exchange the browser sooner or later. Not that other browsers have less bugs, it's just that less of their bugs get exploited

    Thanks for all the replies. I'm still waiting for a comment of an IE user...




  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    27,981
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan

    Thanks for all the replies. I'm still waiting for a comment of an IE user...

    I have IE at home but stopped using it and downloaded Mozilla after having severe pop up problems with IE. Even though I eventually got rid of 90% of the pop ups, I still use Mozilla but have some bugs with it that I don't have with IE.

    But, I have also noticed that with both the pc at work and sometimes the one at home, if there are too many animations going (avatars, smilies etc,.) it slows down too.

    Sometimes I have to manually stop the animations to continue typing.

    Another odd occurance, at work and at random, one thread or another will only load one or two replies, and stay blank for the rest of the page. If I reload the thread or go back to the main forum and click the thread again, same thing happens.




  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,564
    these all sound more like the server is having problems than your computers have problems...but anyway if you do decide to switch to Firefox you'll probably want to keep IE around for certain websites and such. Not everything works in Firefox yet =/




  9. #9
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by krischan

    2. Type a couple of sentences and wait 10-15 minutes
    Umm, why would you do this? Sounds like you've got way too much time on your hands!:lol:




  10. #10
    IncGamers Member Drosselmeier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,168
    Quote Originally Posted by mysnistaken
    these all sound more like the server is having problems than your computers have problems...but anyway if you do decide to switch to Firefox you'll probably want to keep IE around for certain websites and such. Not everything works in Firefox yet =/
    There is an extension for an older version of Firefox that lets you access IE-only sites. He could get version 0.9 while waiting for that extension to get supported by 0.9.2.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •