Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LovelyGods
    and why would u use DOl runes??

isn't 2 x coldfacets more helpful??

the life u gain back from Dol isn't worth it in pvp.. if ittakes you longer then 30 seconds to end a duel, then the sorc isn't workign right..
    Naw, against skilled players, most duels will last at least a few minutes. Especially since everyone has enigma these days, which makes them harder to hit. A few matchups like against bowazons, you will be able to end quickly. But generally speaking, a teleport vs. teleport duel will last a while. Orb isn't a high damage dealing spell like FB, Lightning, Blizz, Hammer, etc. and since everyone uses 2 ravens against cold anyway...you get the idea.

In pubbies most people are not exactly very skilled and you will be able to end the duels quickly, but I'm assuming he wants to duel in a clan environment.

Banned
    So andy,

is ur build(in that mini guide u listed above)

proven to be viable in a pvp situation ?

1. do u have enough mana so if u take a hit, u dont run out and then "go AW Crap i can't teleport nor cast orb".

2. do you have enough orb damage to significantly hurt people?

3. have any other tips, if i cant get a fathom..(30+rune on west EW) maybe use my hoto???? or wiz.. Also, do u need lvl 40 Es?? i dont know if i can get 10 x light / 10 x cold..

thx Lovely.

IncGamers Member
    +2 Shako / Nightwings
    +2 Amulet
    +2 Sojs
    +2 Enigma (assuming you have +% cold dmg gear capped and can't use Ormus)
    +1 Ann
    +9 (+3 Energy Shield Staff with Memory)
    +20 Skillpoints in Energy Shield
    ____

Level 38 Energy Shield or 93% with no swapping of any items whatsoever.

If you want to swap, hold one lightning skill charm and one +3 lightning skill amulet, swap them on, cast eshield, and swap them off. Only takes up 4 spaces in your cube, and you'll have 95% energy shield.

Of course I play in that mythical league where there aren't hundreds of item & skill restrictions, teleport is allowed, CTA is not, and no one stacks insane amounts of absorb.

Beyond that I may write another guide one day with my exact stat/equip/skill recommendations and why, but I don't have the time and energy to go into that now. Besides, there are a few godly items no one thinks are worth anything, and I'd rather snap them up first myself before telling all of my secrets

Banned
    ok i see. so really, i have most of the right gear..

but......

answer the questions in my other post andy plz.. i would like to hear what u have to say..u seem to know alot about this sorcy varient..

IncGamers Member
    So andy,

is ur build(in that mini guide u listed above)

proven to be viable in a pvp situation ?

1. do u have enough mana so if u take a hit, u dont run out and then "go AW Crap i can't teleport nor cast orb".

2. do you have enough orb damage to significantly hurt people?

3. have any other tips, if i cant get a fathom..(30+rune on west EW) maybe use my hoto???? or wiz.. Also, do u need lvl 40 Es?? i dont know if i can get 10 x light / 10 x cold..

thx Lovely.
    Yes. I use a sorc like this as my main dueling sorc and its extremely effective against all except the 3 builds I listed in the mini-guide previously.

1. I'm packing about 3000 mana at the moment. With max TK synergy for ES, that means the only attack capable of draining all of my mana in a single hit is Lightning. (3000/0.75)*6 = 24000. Lightning is so variable that it isn't too big of a deal. Also, since Lightning has a slower cast rate than other sorc spells, its also easier to dodge due to less spammability. Highest fireball I've seen around is about 20k, which leaves me more than enough mana (500) to cast Teleport or Orb. Also, since I take negligable damage to life, fireball doesn't stun me, so its extremely unlikely I'll take 2 consecutive hits. If I do get hit, I'll teleport away to regen my mana back. Also, to get level 40 ES, you need at least +20 lightning skills, which means teleport will cost around 4-5 mana I think, which is dirt cheap.

2. Depending on how many cold charms I decide to use and whether or not I take the time to prebuff, I do around 1k-1.2k orb damage. Granted, any orb damage (and any elemental damage for that matter) in the game can be negated by a hardcore absorber. In a "fair" duel where the opponent just uses 2 ravens, I can kill just about anyone except the 3 builds I listed earlier. From experience, against non-absorbing people this build is absurdly overpowering. If I join a pubbie where no one is absorbing, after about 2-3 minutes either everyone in the game has slapped on absorb, brought a char that is specifically built to kill me (i.e wind druid), or they have left the game.

3. You can get by with just 85% ES (lvl 30), but I'd say that's bare minimum. Below that, things like fireball will begin to stun you, which is something you don't want. Fathom is highly recommended since it gives such a tremendous damage boost, but if you can't get one, HoTo is nice. Wiz should only be used in desperate situations. One of FO's weaknesses is listed damage, so you want to get as much damage as possible. Although some would say resists other than poison don't matter much for this build, I disagree. Get as much resist as you possibly can: 35 Viper, 30 Maras, 20 Anni, Godly Rare Boots (Imps), Um in Shield, sc's. Resists are your insurance against elemental attacks if you do happen to run out of mana. They reduce damage further when you have your shield up. A 20k fireball can be toned down to a very managable 40 damage or so if you have 75% resist on top of 95% ES. Also be sure to try and get as much life as possible. I know this is a base vitality build, but you can still get about 1.5k life with the right charms.

IncGamers Member
    How does this sorc fare vs tele-bonenecs?

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dyn4mik3
    How does this sorc fare vs tele-bonenecs?
    You will never lose to a tele-bonenec of equal or even slightly greater skill as long as you aren't AFK, lagging, etc. With 95% ES and 13 MDR from Vipermagi let me give you an idea of how much bone spells do damage-wise.

Assume 6k damage Spear/Spirit and 1.5k Teeth which is on the very high end.

6k/Pvp Penalty = 1k
    1k/20 for ES = 50
    50-13 for MDR = 37

Teeth on the other hand...
    1500/PvP Penalty = 250
    250/20 for ES = 12.5
    12.5-13 MDR = -0.5

Basically, as long as you have adequate mana, Teeth does no damage and Spear/Spirit does laughable damage. You might be worried about mana loss, but as long as you don't take 3-4 Spears in a row, you won't run out of mana fast enough for them to hurt you significantly. With 3000 mana and max TK synergy, it takes 4 consecutive spears/spirits to drain your mana completely, something that isn't going to happen unless you are AFK. Teeth...you can just teleport right through it.

Banned
    Bone necros is total pathetic, my drag-race trapsin easily run away/around those bone spirits and spears and cornering teeth spray, making flawless victory for me

Banned
    Question for andy.

since i probably can't / never/ get a fathom..

im gonna use hoto..

hoto has 20% Life Regen on it..

do i need to waste 2 skts on Dol now?

or can i use 5/5 facets instead.... (in shako, Viper, posibly Whistans)

also, what is ur FHR for this build.....???

IncGamers Member
    Question for andy.

since i probably can't / never/ get a fathom..

im gonna use hoto..

hoto has 20% Life Regen on it..

do i need to waste 2 skts on Dol now?

or can i use 5/5 facets instead.... (in shako, Viper, posibly Whistans)

also, what is ur FHR for this build.....???
    In that case, you don't need DOL's, and the facets would be better to boost your damage.

I have 20 FHR from boots, and another 24 from alternate charms if I need it. Almost no attack stuns you, so FHR is only needed against trapsins and maybe a hammerdin.