Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    IncGamers Member

Fighting teleporting WW barbs?

I've been seening a certain goob running amok which has led me to think about how one would go about fighting a barbarian with high/max resists, a crazy whirlwind, and the ever-present Enigma for the topping.

A few problems must be solved:

1. Survive at least one whirlwind
    2. Manage to attack back (and hit)
    3. Win (at least some of the time)

How does the paladin's Thorns aura work vs. whirlwind? If the paladin takes a hit and lives, will Thorns return 800%+ received damage back (depending on slvl) immediately, or is the returned damage subject to the PvP penalties all over again?
    Wouldn't Smite be the skill to use alongside Thorns in a case like this? Assuming the pally lives through the whirlwind and returns damage, the ITD would prove helpful vs the barb's assumed high defense.

Or, if the whole thing sucks, what sort of character would be decently suited for taking down a barb? O.o

IncGamers Member
    thorns is nerfed too much by pvp. best choice is a hammerdin with some points in holy shield.

IncGamers Member
    Thorns is pretty useless. Best bet is a hammerdin or summoner necro with teleport using iron maiden. Barb can't leech off the skellies and he will take a ton of damage if he wws them. If you're rich you can always make a smiter. They do very well vs babas. Other classes can be effective but they don't win anywhere near as easily as these ones.

I use a tele bone necro with maxed block, haven't met any barbs of any kind (including tele WWers) that can beat me consistently.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WuffWhacker
    I've been seening a certain goob running amok which has led me to think about how one would go about fighting a barbarian with high/max resists, a crazy whirlwind, and the ever-present Enigma for the topping.

A few problems must be solved:

1. Survive at least one whirlwind
    2. Manage to attack back (and hit)
    3. Win (at least some of the time)

How does the paladin's Thorns aura work vs. whirlwind? If the paladin takes a hit and lives, will Thorns return 800%+ received damage back (depending on slvl) immediately, or is the returned damage subject to the PvP penalties all over again?
    Wouldn't Smite be the skill to use alongside Thorns in a case like this? Assuming the pally lives through the whirlwind and returns damage, the ITD would prove helpful vs the barb's assumed high defense.

Or, if the whole thing sucks, what sort of character would be decently suited for taking down a barb? O.o
    If you are on West... the barb's name wouldn't happen to be Mugaf would it?

If it is, don't even bother. The guy has ridiculous hacks and pots like mad.

IncGamers Member
    No comment on who the goob might be... ;)
    I've been puttering around with the idea of a hammerdin (yick) for a while now anyway...

Thanks much for the info and insight. :)

IncGamers Member
    [color=Red]i personally like the bonemancer, if you just make sure he has crazy bone armor absorb, and good dr somewhere a baba will have issues killing him with a single ww like that. the strategy i would use is every time they tele, u tele and fire a couple teeth/spear shots. get them down somewhat and your finisher involves you letting that barb ww straight through you, and pump him full of your best attack. i do it all the time with my (fire) sorc, though its not nearly as effective because she doesnt have the nice bone armor to save her. [/Color]

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyrexial
    I use a tele bone necro with maxed block, haven't met any barbs of any kind (including tele WWers) that can beat me consistently.
    Then you havent met xe's I think. Its one of the barbs on @Uswest one of the top 10 I'm pretty sure. I'm quite skilled with teleporting, and lets just say I can square off with him, and he is one evil dude to duel with. He teleports as if he has 150% cast, and does a serious 5k per hand dmg.

IncGamers Member
    Like the other people said, use a boner. If a barb kills mine more than one in ten I start wondering what I am doing wrong...

Just remember some basic things with him. Try to keep up a golem at all times, as it takes at least one hit, saving you some damage. Keep bone armor up at all times. Use walk instead of run to keep max block. If you are cheesy, use decrep (or IM if they do real high damage) to keep em from becoming a real threat. If he does insane damage, cast a (not more than one or you are REAL cheesy) bonewall and stand next to it, saves another hit. Use spear when he is closing in, teeth when he is running and dodging, and use spirit when he is about to ww you. Then as soon as his ww is past you, switch back to spear again. If he ww's right through you all your spears hit automatically. If he knows what he is doing he will use a diagonal ww, forcing you to aim (practicing on this vs a friendly barb will help tremendously).

Most of these tactics only work if you play defensively. If you are more like the guns ablazing jump in or go down with a bang type, then at least make sure you know your tele grid better than he does his

Quote Originally Posted by Deceit
    Then you havent met xe's I think. Its one of the barbs on @Uswest one of the top 10 I'm pretty sure. I'm quite skilled with teleporting, and lets just say I can square off with him, and he is one evil dude to duel with. He teleports as if he has 150% cast, and does a serious 5k per hand dmg.
    I play on US East Ladder with a mediocre level bone necro and I've had no problems at all with WW barbs. If I had something like Gideon's necro it would absolutely be no contest. If someone has a decent block tele necro on West they'd lend out to me for an hour, I'd gladly duel this barb.

In the meantime, I'd ask that another necro dueler on West duel this barb and give a report if they could.

One minor comment. Why do you say "as if he has 150% cast"? If the breakpoints are the same as sorcs then shouldn't it be 110% or 200%? 150 or 120 fcr should make no difference.