Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Iraq sovereignty thread #33461

Old topic, I know, but there appears to be a twist not yet brought up here to my knowledge.

I've come to the realization that our current UNSC-granted exemption from ICC prosecution for war crimes expires June 30. We don't have the 9 votes needed to pass another extension, and Annan is now actively asking the UNSC to stop shielding us from international law. Small wonder then that Bush is now lobbying the UN to pass a resolution supporting Iraqi sovereignty. This resolution would essentially set up a precedent for the idea that we have no power over what happens in Iraq starting from, conveniently, the date on which we would start being held responsible for our actions in war.

I am now absolutely certain that this transfer will happen. I'd bet the bank on it.

Banned
    Care to guess how long we will have a military presence there?

IncGamers Member
    I'd imagine that the political capital Shrub will lose if the handover does not go down as planned is much more important to the current administration than silly UN resolutions.

Banned
    I'd be surprised if (exemption or no exemption) the U.S govt would allow or recognize any trial anyway. I mean, who has the power to enforce it? I can't see Donald Rumsfeld being brought up in front of an international court...isn't going to happen.

Banned
    Excellent searching.

That would explain why June 30th was chosen.

Beyond that this isn't much of anything. The UNSC exemption on the other hand would make for another good argument.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Anidem
    Care to guess how long we will have a military presence there?
    The rest of your life. But at worst it would only be individual soldiers facing charges and there'd be no way to climb the diplomatic ladder and blame it on someone who matters, because nobody that matters will technically be in charge anymore.

And yeah, I think Bush doesn't care too much about UN resolutions, but at the same time he doesn't appear to value political capital all that much either. Four months before the elections is still enough time to damage control something like that, especially since most of us still believe Hussein was one of the 9/11 pilots.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IDupedInMyPants
    The rest of your life. But at worst it would only be individual soldiers facing charges and there'd be no way to climb the diplomatic ladder and blame it on someone who matters, because nobody that matters will technically be in charge anymore.
    Go get better educated on creeping gradualism and you'll find that assumption to be false.

And yeah, I think Bush doesn't care too much about UN resolutions, but at the same time he doesn't appear to value political capital all that much either.
    Considering there were 17 UN resolutions over 12 years and it ultimately was the US led coalition that took Saddam out. Anybody can see how it'd be hard to take them seriously.
    On the subject of political capital, isn't that what you'd want in a polititian? Somebody who so believes in what he's doing he's willing to risk everything? Or somebody like Sen. Kerry who changes his mind on just about everything depending on who he's talking to?

IncGamers Member
    I reckon you don't have the faintest idea as to what political capital is or how it works, Smeg. But you did manage to get in a shot at Kerry, so I guess you accomplished your goal.

Banned
    Score one on the Kerry hit, lose the game on the capital.

I like my presidents willing to lay it all out. Worrying about the score isn't the way to get things done.

IncGamers Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IDupedInMyPants
    Old topic, I know, but there appears to be a twist not yet brought up here to my knowledge.

I've come to the realization that our current UNSC-granted exemption from ICC prosecution for war crimes expires June 30. We don't have the 9 votes needed to pass another extension, and Annan is now actively asking the UNSC to stop shielding us from international law. Small wonder then that Bush is now lobbying the UN to pass a resolution supporting Iraqi sovereignty. This resolution would essentially set up a precedent for the idea that we have no power over what happens in Iraq starting from, conveniently, the date on which we would start being held responsible for our actions in war.

I am now absolutely certain that this transfer will happen. I'd bet the bank on it.
    I am actually suprised that nobody has picked up on this yet. Way to go IDMP - you should seriously consider sending in an editorial to your local newspaper or something - As far as I can tell (googlesearch), some news articles hint at this, but NOBODY has actually picked this out as a rationale for the June 30th transfer.