Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

View Poll Results: What's your standing on math and D2 stats?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate math...but I gotta know Hell Meph's drop chances!

    3 8.57%
  • I hate math, and having fun beats knowing drop chances.

    1 2.86%
  • I hate math, and I just play and see what drops.

    3 8.57%
  • I love math, and the game wouldn't be the same if I didn't know the formulae.

    5 14.29%
  • I like math a lot, but really, number crunching is a minor part of the game.

    10 28.57%
  • I love math, but I just wanna play dammit!

    9 25.71%
  • If Hell Baal doesn't drop a Zod, I blame it on Durf.

    3 8.57%
  • I kill everything only once, so all I need to know where the crucial balance between drops and kills is.

    1 2.86%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 114
  1. #91
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    US WEST
    Posts
    2,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyee
    Do they? Does a man smoking a joint in some college room shown his desire to dismantle the American government? Does an 18 year old woman who has sex with a 16 year old woman (and yes, that is a felony in some states, but only for homosexuals) exhibit her inability to vote in an election? Anarchists by definition desire to overthrow the current government and either replace it or leave it to rot in a sewer.

    Come now, tydon.
    Its a crime agaisnt society in theory. Smoking that joint, I doubt he would get hard prison time. Distributing it, driving under the influence, yes, both of those are harmful to society...

    That law is there to protect minors, I know if I had sex with a 16 year old I could face prison time, I simply respect the law. They dont respect the law if they intentionally break it.

    Anarchists by definition yes, but can you show proof they desire to do it? Alot of people call themselves anarchists because its the cool thing to do, but most realize it would never work.




  2. #92
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by tydon
    Ummm.... you claim no one can take away an Americans right to vote.........why cant a 17 year old vote then?
    That's another discussion. Don't even get me started on that.

    If you live in a place for a certain amount of time, you must claiim residency if I recall correctly... Thus, they would become residents of that town/state eventually.
    So what exactly is this amount of time? I'd like to know how long I can stay in a place before I become a resident.

    Just because you were born somewhere does not mean you are automatically forever a resident of that state....
    No, but if I travel to another state I don't become a citizen of that state.




  3. #93
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    There. *points*
    Posts
    1,380
    Quote Originally Posted by tydon
    Its a crime agaisnt society in theory. Smoking that joint, I doubt he would get hard prison time.
    I see you've not read my post. No surprise, lots of numbers in it. A black man with a bag of marijuana that he intends to use for himself can get a felony conviction, especially in Texas. Hard time or not, he's still a felon.

    That law is there to protect minors, I know if I had sex with a 16 year old I could face prison time, I simply respect the law. They dont respect the law if they intentionally break it.
    Ah, but there's the catch...unequal application of the law, special protections reserved for special people. Take a look at incarceration rates of minorities some time.

    Anarchists by definition yes, but can you show proof they desire to do it? Alot of people call themselves anarchists because its the cool thing to do, but most realize it would never work.
    I dare you to go to indymedia and post that. Let's say that I am an anarchist. I attend meetings, I go to protests, I post inflammatory materials online, I write nasty books, and essentially exercise my rights to do so freely and openly. Do I not exhibit my desire to overthrow the government, even if I don't throw a single rock?




  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Argentina, crying for myself.
    Posts
    2,522
    I think one of the strongest arguments here is the fact that Anyee and I actually agree. Anything she and I agree upon should be passed immediately and permanently into federal law without question.




  5. #95
    IncGamers Member Drosselmeier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaboosh
    That is the point Dross. What is your point though?
    My point is that they ARE being punished. How many discussions about crime and punishment have you been in where that "prisoners deserve rougher treatment" doesnīt come up? People donīt realize what stress it brings to be locked up in some place and not be able to leave. That alone embitters people and wears them down mentally. Still... there are always a few people, or a majority, who are so personally offended that someone broke the law they feel they need to see the person further punished.

    I donīt want to get into a debate about conditions in prison here... I donīt know enough about American prisons to do that. All Iīm saying is that until youīve been, or until youīve at least gotten to know some who has, maybe you shouldnīt claim that prison is a free vacation.

    Personally, I believe that prison sentences should be a means to protect the general population, and also strive towards reforming criminals. I know most of you donīt agree with me about that, but even those who believe that the punisment should fit the crime should agree that taking away criminals' right to vote is wrong. Iīm lazy, so Iīll just refer you to Dupeds posts for an arguement.

    Also... criminal behaviour isnīt some massive plot to tear society apart. For the most part I would say that criminal behaviour is born of desperation, nessecity, mental or social problems and the like. Some are lapses in judgement, like drunk driving. How many crimes are politically motivated? Criminals are dependant on society functioning just like the rest of us and have very little to gain from breaking it. Of course, they might want to do as much damage as possible out of spite if you alienate them and embitter them enough.




  6. #96
    IncGamers Member Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by IDupedInMyPants
    I think one of the strongest arguments here is the fact that Anyee and I actually agree. Anything she and I agree upon should be passed immediately and permanently into federal law without question.
    Hold on there pardner. I think the fact that Anakha and I agree 100% on this issue is also cause enough to make it immediate, permanent federal law. I mean, how many times have Anakahaka and I even come CLOSE to agreeing?

    There must be an extra strong tide or a giant solar storm or something. Maybe the North Atlantic Current is all jacked up.




  7. #97
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    On the right
    Posts
    3,904
    Quote Originally Posted by tydon
    Ummm.... you claim no one can take away an Americans right to vote.........why cant a 17 year old vote then?
    Because you can't go off to war and die for your country without a note from your mommy. The voting age in the United States was 21 until the enactment of the 26 amendment in 1971. See, folks weren't really keen on being shot at in Vietnam. coming home and not being able to excercise their right/duty to vote.


    If you live in a place for a certain amount of time, you must claiim residency if I recall correctly... Thus, they would become residents of that town/state eventually.
    You recall incorrectly. Claiming residency isn't as easy as it looks. Anyone who has paid out-of-state tuition can tell you that. However, you can register to vote in any place where you have a permanent address. For example, I'm registered to vote in both Washington and Pennsylvania and it's perfectly legal as long as I don't cast ballots in both states.




  8. #98
    IncGamers Member Yaboosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    5,402
    Mac, I can't remember how it is relevant to this discussion, but about the residency, I know in Florida if you work for a year here, you become a resident. My roommate is in the process of getting state residency for instate tuition by working where I do for a year.




  9. #99
    IncGamers Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    Posts
    113
    People committing crimes that land them in prison give up their stake in society. THerefore they give up their right to alter it.




  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Posts
    541
    Quote Originally Posted by IDupedInMyPants
    I'm all for denial of rights to convicts, but you really have to draw a reasonable line. The guy killed somebody, ok, deny his right to freedom for a while. Did he commit vote fraud? What legitimate reason could there be for denying a murderer his right to vote? That's pretty arbitrary sounding to me, and most likely a purely emotional response. It's not like he's gonna get to vote on whether or not to make crime legal or something, he just gets to help pick a representative.
    There is no reasonable line. The law works best when it deals with black and white issues and the more grey you try to create the more it will break down. What was the last issue that America could agree on? We were united for about nine month after 911 and before then I can't even remember anything since the Bicentenial 4th of July in 1776. Since we never agree, we should never try to create those lines. It just ends making everyone unhappy.

    Voting is an inalienable right, if you don't know what that means u should look it up. There are reason for the Bill of Rights. It was not just thrown togeather at random. It seems that a lot of people don't understand the danger of messing with rights. Setting legal precident is a Major Deal. Just because you think an idea sounds good in one case you don't understand that the Legal theory and principles will be applied to other situations causing unintended reprocussions. And 99% of the time they are verry bad. Just the Idea of thking away someones rights just because you are mad at them is verry scarry.

    You know. I can't understand the mindset that has crept into this country over the last 30 yrs. It just seems to me that a lot of angry people are trying to sooth them selves by attacking others. Everywhere I look I see Outrage against the Rich,Poor,Ethnic group,Gender. They want to take the richs money or ban people from being able to do this or that.

    Were did all this hate come from? We are the We are the richest country in the world, we have the highest standard of living, and all we can do is find ways to oppress thoses that are different than us. A LOT of people need to grow up.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •