View Full Version : I'm hoping to get an Insight for a Merc.. some questions.. <
My hammerdin is lvl87 now and I think I could really benefit from an Insight on a Merc.
I guess I know RAL - TIR - TAL - SOL are the runes to make insight on a polearm so my questions are:
1) Which polearm do I use? And how do I go about getting a 4-socketed one? Which is best?
2) Those runes aren't particularly rare I guess, huh? Should I just try to trade Pgems for them individually?
Sorry for the noob questions but.. I'm a noob!
Most people use an Elite 4 Socketed polearm:
Pick and choose. Each has its own benefits, but for most people, they tend to choose either a thresher, a cryptic axe, or a Greate Poleaxe. However, since Insight has no inherent IAS, it's best to choose a moderately faster weapon.
Myself, I use a Thresher. If you can find or cube an etheral 4os Thresher, that would also be really nice. You can find treshers and other elite polearms by killing monsters in areas such as the Pit in Tamoe Highlands. Make sure to wear as little MF as possible as MF affects your socketable drop rate.
As for the runes, you can trade for them with pgems. However, I prefer to simply kill the Countess from in Act1 Tower sicne she'll always drop a rune and chances are it'll be a low one, which you could cube or use.
There's several aspects to take into account here :
1. If you want your merc to deal good damage, put this runeword in an elite polearm, like an ethereal Colossus Voulge for example. Ethereal is a must here, because mercenaries don't use any durability at all (same thing for their armor and helm).
2. If you're a Hammerdin and plan to run the Chaos Sanctuary, and want to benefit from the Meditation aura only (and thus, don't care about the damage of your mercenary), then go with a normal non-ethereal polearm. So, your mercenary will deal very little damage, and won't die from Iron Maiden.
3. If you plan to level your Hammerdin with no more problems of mana, stick those runes in an exceptional polearm. Indeed, exceptional polearms require a cLvl = 25, and Insight is a cLvl 27 runeword. It means that your mercenary will be able to use this runeword at LEVEL 27 ONLY. This is very important if you consider that in an elite polearm, you will have to wait much longer before being able to use it. And your mana problems will mostly be a pain at lower levels.
4. The runes are very cheap. When you're done with a high enough Level, it's always time to make another Insight in an elite polearm.
Thanks for the help guys.
My Paladin is level 87 right now so I should be good to go with an exceptional polearm then, huh?
Also, why etheral? Does etheral do more damage than non etheral? I understand etherals cannot be repaired and mercs don't damage their items but why is etheral > non etheral better for my merc's polarm?
So an etheral exceptional 4-socketed polearm is the best to search for, then? Pretty much any of them will do?
Should I do runs or check shops for it or what?
Sorry for the dumb questions. I appreciate the help everybody.
Also, why etheral? Does etheral do more damage than non etheral? I understand etherals cannot be repaired and mercs don't damage their items but why is etheral > non etheral better for my merc's polarm?Ethereal weapons have 50% more base damage than their nonethereal counterparts. Since merc items don't lose durability, you can equip ethereal items on them without having to worry about it breaking, so you can take advantage of the extra damage.
4 socket ethereal elite polearms can be hard to come by, since they are also used for infinity, which costs enough for people to be picky about. Insight is fine in an eth exceptional or non-eth elite.
Or, you could forego the entire 'Insight' discussion since there are much better Merc weapons out there (although it is still good to have all this information for future reference) and just dump a skill point into Redemption... or, even better, shop a scepter with bonus to Redemption (ideally +3 Defensive Auras with inherent +3 Redemption, but just +1 Redemption would work fine also) and keep it on your weapon switch. Kill a few baddies, flash on Redemption aura for a second or two, and both your life and mana bulbs will be full again.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.