Creating good random map generators is a difficult task in video games, and something we’ve seen done with relative success in all of the Diablo games. Diablo 1 had four dungeon types with quite different maps for each area, though all were just big squares with different arrangements of the pieces within them. (The Hellfire […]
Diablo 3 Podcast conversation about multiplayer co-op issues in Diablo 3. What are the benefits of playing with others? Should there be more party skill bonuses? Why are the Diablo 3 clan tools so meh? The curse of the double-Unity requirement. Show features Aahzmodius, Wolfpaq, and Flux. Click through for approximate segment starting times: 0:30 […]
- Off-Topic in the OTF
- The Impeachment Thread, vol.1 - "WMD"
- RoS: How are you Witch Doctors doing?
- A "Could Be Useful" Amulet - Item Find Thread August…
- RoS: How are you Barbs doing?
- Ups and downs of each version
- Tyrael build?
- Vote: Which are your favorite Legendary Gems?
- SP Price Check Thread - Feb 2011 - Dec 2013
- CaptainFalcon - Charge/Holy Fire Paladin Themed…
- Anything Goes D2 Lounge!
- Forum Mafia Statistics And Awards Thread
What does your BattleTag mean?Posted 3 Dec 2012 by
We’ve all got a BattleTag™ now, and after some early complaining that it was the Mark of the
Beast Bobby, I think we’ve come to accept it in a way we never would have with Blizzard’s previous effort to install a mandatory RealID system on Battle.net. But what does it all mean, man? I mean, did you pick your BattleTag carefully and scientifically just for Diablo III? Or did you already have one from other Blizzard games, or did you just let your cat leap upon the keyboard or what?
I’m asking since a fan did on B.net and I thought it was an interesting issue. Here’s the quote:
To start off, “OnlyYou” is the name of my favorite song: an ambient piece from the old game? “Silent Hill”.
Vaeflare: Let’s see, the BattleTag I chose was simply a word I’ve liked for many years that makes me smile every time I see it. Generally for names that I have to see displayed a lot, or even passwords, I include a variation of a word that has a bit of a silly personal meaning to me, so that even when I’m busy typing in passwords, I can get a smile out of it. One of my old mainstays is “raptor,” because, I mean, who doesn’t like raptors?
My CM name, however, is a slight alteration of a MUD-type character I ran for well over ten years. Ah… memories.
Thanks to the Blue for playing along. I can’t really blame him for not sharing his BattleTag as he doesn’t want fans pestering him while he’s trying to play, but it does sort of defeat the purpose of answering the question, eh?
I’ll play along, though. I choose my BattleTag, Solipsistic, purely for D3 since I don’t play any other Blizzard games. It’s partly a reaction to the online-only DRM and partly just a word I like a lot. I save up juicy multisyllabic words and I deployed a number of them for my D3 character names, all at least loosely-related to the classes in question or the ongoing narrative in my head.
So what’s your BattleTag and how did you select it? I’ll even throw in a quick poll, just for our silly Sunday discussion.
How did you pick your BattleTag?
- Online name I've used forever. (64%, 1,256 Votes)
- From some other game/character/movie/music/etc. (11%, 208 Votes)
- Tossed cat onto keyboard. (6%, 115 Votes)
- It's my real name. (5%, 101 Votes)
- Spur of the moment, off the top of my head, blah. (5%, 99 Votes)
- Created for D3 after careful thought and deliberation. (5%, 94 Votes)
- Something else. (5%, 89 Votes)
- Don't remember. (0%, 14 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,975