It’s no surprise that the Monk class has been in need of some love pre 2.1. However with the second iteration of the patch on the PTR that need has not yet been abided. People are still clamoring for more sweeping changes(pun intended).
I was a heavy Monk user pre ROS and took a break with the xpac to delve into my first love(WD) and my new fling(crusader). I returned to the Monk only a few weeks ago and what I found was a shell of what I had left. After suffering for a long time as a WD it was nice when they finally rose to prominence. After a while on the top I wanted a new challenge and set my sights back on my monk, however even this challenge seems to daunting then all that time as a struggling WD. Diablo Forum MVP Druin put together an eloquent look at the myriad issues facing the class:
I am back from vacation and I am looking to write up a concise review of where we stand in 2.1.
My plan is to give a quick overview of our major issues then discuss the 2.1 changes and how they affect the various facets of our class.
I will be using this thread to fine-tune what we want to communicate to the devs and then I will make a major “state of monks in 2.1″ thread on the PTR forums to attempt to get some help for our lovely class!
1. Current Monk Issues
This is really at the forefront of the monk issues.
Since the release of RoS, monks have been having a tough time with DPS. We have a very limited range of options mostly centering around the skill Exploding Palm. (Un)fortunately EP is being changed as it breaks greater rifts (along with Rimeheart and Furnace) so our only source of widely competitive damage is going away. This leaves monks in a pretty bad spot.
Our spenders do very little damage (I mean VERY little) relative to their cost and our generators are used more as proc-vehicles for Odyn Son, Thunderfury, Shard of Hate and Rime/Furnace more than as sources of damage themselves. This leaves us with our 6pc Raiment of 1000 Storms which makes DS proc a 3000% weapon damage attack on cast. 3000% damage is a lot and it scales with lightning damage gear but DS has a flat-immutable 6 second cooldown. This can be mitigated to some extent by using Jawbreaker to give “free” dashing strike charges but that interaction is quite clunky.
Basically, monks will be forced into a clunky, hard-to-use situationally terrible Storm-breaker set in order to compete with other classes in damage. If they don’t want to use this mechanic, they will do very poor damage.
Next on the list is our ability to survive. This is a more controversial topic with some finding survival to be quite easy and many others finding it to be quite hard. In 2.1 with the change from dex giving dodge to dex giving armor and the change from OWE to Harmony, many monks who had minor synergy with OWE will see a minor tankiness boost. (my Raiment set for example)
On the other hand, monk who are deeply invested into OWE will see a major tankiness loss. (my Shatter-palm set). In either case, both types of monks probably have a lot of trouble living in T6 without 2x Unity or the constant dashing from Storm-breaker. Why is this? Because monks have to face-tank so much stuff.
Our primary source of resource generation comes from skills that require you to be up-close and personal with mobs which means a lot of damage can’t be avoided. To compensate for this, end-game monks are forced to take defensive passives (Harmony) defensive skills (Epiphany-shroud / Serenity / Inner Sanc / Blinding Flash) and CDR in basically every single spec. This is extremely limiting to the monk playstyle though arguably less of a problem than the DPS as the defensive skill/CDR solution does exist.
Additionally, sustain is nearly non-existent. LoH requires primary affixes which takes away from our already terrible DPS, LPS is the same, LPSS both takes primary affixes AND is extremely poor and Globes took a pretty big hit in 2.1. Monks actually have access to healing skills but, for some reason, they are tuned to be SO weak that they are essentially non-existent.
This is a more fundamental problem than the other two issues. Mere number tweaks would likely not result in this issue being resolved.
Legendary Gems were first officially revealed in the Patch 2.1 preview blog back in June of this year. They will be added to Reaper of Souls in Patch 2.1, and are currently undergoing testing on the PTR.
The gems add special bonuses when socketed in rings and amulets (only on Characters and not on Followers), and can be upgraded in power via Urshi, the NPC who appears after Greater Rifts are cleared.
While the developers are calling them “legendary gems” these socketables have nothing in common with regular gems in stats or appearance, and are more analogous to the Rainbow Facet unique jewels of Diablo 2. The main difference in Diablo 3 is that these gems can only be socketed in jewelry, and the way the gems can be upgraded to improve their functions over time.
Legendary Gems Listing
While the Legendary Gems are still undergoing development on the PTR, their stats and bonuses are changing constantly. A major revision was created on July 15, 2014 with new or upgraded stats for almost every gem. The following are the most current details about Legendary Gems.
|Bane of the Powerful|
|Bane of the Trapped|
|Boon of the Hoarder|
|Bliz Note: As was discussed in another thread, allowing this this gem to rank up to +100% pet Crit would likely cause undesired gearing issues and probably be a little out of line.|
|Gem of Efficacious Toxin|
|Gogok of Swiftness|
|Mirinae, Teardrop of Starweaver|
- Drop Rate of Greater Rift Keystones
- Heavens fury and Crit/no Crit
- Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum…
- OT: Days of our Lives aka the Beacon's Billboard
- RoS: How are you Barbs doing?
- Patriarch The_Snowman, Frost Zealot
- Best class to face off against duriel
- RoS: How are you Demon Hunters doing?
- Lesser used Uniques and Sets
- So, I'm quitting. What to do with items.
- My first Mat! Eilonwy, Blizzard/Fireball Sorc, lvl 85
- Movie Review thread.
The Diablo 3 Podcast #112: The Auction House ShutdownPosted 18 Sep 2013 by
Flux, JrMint, and Xanth discuss the surprise announcement that the Diablo 3 Auction House is shutting down in a few months. Loot 2.0 and everyone going self found, D3 console test bed, economic shifts, BoA everything, the transition to RoS, and why gold will probably be worthless in the future?
- 0:30 — Intro, Auction House topics, and the new Diablo III community manager that was almost Xanth.
- 2:50 — Auction House shutting down 18 March, 2014. Did they finally give up on implementing commas and scrap the whole system? First impressions from JrMint and Xanth include considerable surprise.
- 7:15 — What will the trolls say now, that they can’t blame all of Diablo III’s problems on the RMAH?
- 11:00 — Transition to RoS. New Loot 2.0 has to be in place when they shut down the AH since the current game economy doesn’t adequately support self finding. Will we see the expansion around March or April? Or the D3C version of Loot 2.0 for months and months until the eventual expansion?
- 12:50 — Can we transfer characters and gear to the new system? Or do we need to start fresh, like players now into the Diablo III console? Will gold have value when the AH is gone? Many players now have far more gold than they’d ever need for in-game expenses.
- 16:00 — JrMint describes the Diablo III Console economy and why he doesn’t miss the AH at all. Portent of things to come in Diablo III PC version?
- 21:00 — Auction House was a vast improvement over WUG in D2. Can Diablo III improve trading over what D2 offered, even without an AH? JrMint rhapsodizes over the joys of self found upgrades. Will players do that, or run to third party black markets once the AH is gone?
- 29:00 — Gold in Diablo III today has some in-game use, but primarily it’s a material you use in the Auction House. If the top gear in RoS, and everything crafted or Mystic-fied becomes BoA, what value or utility would gold have?
- 33:30 — What to do with gold now? Horde it and hope it’s got some use? Buy mats or gems? Spend it on upgrades to level faster, since we know experience will carry over into Paragon 2.0 and RoS? Gold should have value; not just be something shiny you use to decorate the ground in Tristram.
- 38:20 — Auction House made it easy to assemble specialized gear for certain builds. If you needed 3 specific legendary items with the precise skill bonuses, which you’d never find yourself. Is this ruined by no-AH? Third party sites and trading forums made mandatory? New B.net features coming at Blizzcon. How about an “Inspect” gear where each person can put their top 5 items for trade so anyone can view them?
- 43:30 — Shed a tear for the Ironborn. Selfounders are out of business now that everyone is Ironborn? If the game is tuned for self finding, has Blizzard killed the Ironborn with kindness?
- 46:10 — Blizzard’s long term financial outlook. RMAH was set to provide them with ongoing income from Diablo III that they didn’t see with D2. What will replace that? DLC? Item shop selling special gear or transmog looks? Could D3 go F2P at some point in the future with an item shop or monthly fee for extra services, more stash space, etc?
- 54:20 — What to do during the last five months of the Auction House? How to prepare for the transition? Will all AH prices fall or rise over time? Will gems and other in-game expenses be lowered? They are cheaper on the console, and only 2 gems required for each level up all the way to Marquise.
The Diablo 3 Podcast Episode Guide in DiabloWiki.net provides download links to every show, plus quick summaries.
- Listen and subscribe through iTunes.
- View video versions of all The Diablo Podcasts on You Tube, via our all-encompassing Diablo3Inc channel.
- Get the Podcast RSS feed