It’s no surprise that the Monk class has been in need of some love pre 2.1. However with the second iteration of the patch on the PTR that need has not yet been abided. People are still clamoring for more sweeping changes(pun intended).
I was a heavy Monk user pre ROS and took a break with the xpac to delve into my first love(WD) and my new fling(crusader). I returned to the Monk only a few weeks ago and what I found was a shell of what I had left. After suffering for a long time as a WD it was nice when they finally rose to prominence. After a while on the top I wanted a new challenge and set my sights back on my monk, however even this challenge seems to daunting then all that time as a struggling WD. Diablo Forum MVP Druin put together an eloquent look at the myriad issues facing the class:
I am back from vacation and I am looking to write up a concise review of where we stand in 2.1.
My plan is to give a quick overview of our major issues then discuss the 2.1 changes and how they affect the various facets of our class.
I will be using this thread to fine-tune what we want to communicate to the devs and then I will make a major “state of monks in 2.1″ thread on the PTR forums to attempt to get some help for our lovely class!
1. Current Monk Issues
This is really at the forefront of the monk issues.
Since the release of RoS, monks have been having a tough time with DPS. We have a very limited range of options mostly centering around the skill Exploding Palm. (Un)fortunately EP is being changed as it breaks greater rifts (along with Rimeheart and Furnace) so our only source of widely competitive damage is going away. This leaves monks in a pretty bad spot.
Our spenders do very little damage (I mean VERY little) relative to their cost and our generators are used more as proc-vehicles for Odyn Son, Thunderfury, Shard of Hate and Rime/Furnace more than as sources of damage themselves. This leaves us with our 6pc Raiment of 1000 Storms which makes DS proc a 3000% weapon damage attack on cast. 3000% damage is a lot and it scales with lightning damage gear but DS has a flat-immutable 6 second cooldown. This can be mitigated to some extent by using Jawbreaker to give “free” dashing strike charges but that interaction is quite clunky.
Basically, monks will be forced into a clunky, hard-to-use situationally terrible Storm-breaker set in order to compete with other classes in damage. If they don’t want to use this mechanic, they will do very poor damage.
Next on the list is our ability to survive. This is a more controversial topic with some finding survival to be quite easy and many others finding it to be quite hard. In 2.1 with the change from dex giving dodge to dex giving armor and the change from OWE to Harmony, many monks who had minor synergy with OWE will see a minor tankiness boost. (my Raiment set for example)
On the other hand, monk who are deeply invested into OWE will see a major tankiness loss. (my Shatter-palm set). In either case, both types of monks probably have a lot of trouble living in T6 without 2x Unity or the constant dashing from Storm-breaker. Why is this? Because monks have to face-tank so much stuff.
Our primary source of resource generation comes from skills that require you to be up-close and personal with mobs which means a lot of damage can’t be avoided. To compensate for this, end-game monks are forced to take defensive passives (Harmony) defensive skills (Epiphany-shroud / Serenity / Inner Sanc / Blinding Flash) and CDR in basically every single spec. This is extremely limiting to the monk playstyle though arguably less of a problem than the DPS as the defensive skill/CDR solution does exist.
Additionally, sustain is nearly non-existent. LoH requires primary affixes which takes away from our already terrible DPS, LPS is the same, LPSS both takes primary affixes AND is extremely poor and Globes took a pretty big hit in 2.1. Monks actually have access to healing skills but, for some reason, they are tuned to be SO weak that they are essentially non-existent.
This is a more fundamental problem than the other two issues. Mere number tweaks would likely not result in this issue being resolved.
Regular readers will have noticed quite a few changes on Diablo: IncGamers since the launch of Reaper of Souls which was the motivation for us to make some of the changes we had been thinking about for a while.
When RoS launched we pushed the first stage of front page layout changes live. We know everyone likes to read their content in different ways so the site was changed to a similar layout to the main IncGamers site. Of course not every one will love that format so in the past week we set to work on the second phase which was giving you the option to read the content in the old format if you so desired.
In case you hadn’t spotted it, there are a couple of buttons above the news that allow you to switch to your preferred format.
Probably the toughest job we had to undertake was the forums. We have used the same forum system for around a decade and there were millions of posts to port over. It was important to us to make sure that threads from the old forum were not lost, we’d have hell to pay from you guys if they went missing Remember the great forum crash of 2003? That was not pretty.
So why the change? There were numerous reasons, the next version of the same forum was bloated with features that were useless to the community here. Spammers were also a consideration and the previous software was starting to struggle with the rise in spammers over the last couple of years. We needed a system that could pro- actively catch them and then make life easier for IncGamers moderators to deal with anything that managed to slip through.
The end results once we switched were good. The forums are now easier to use, faster and more robust. It’s taken some time to iron out issues with posts moved over from the old system but I would say we are 95% there with most things now. The forum is now easier to use and has more features to track new content additions.
One of the main issues we had during the change was with your logins. We have a custom login system that ties your forum account to the main site. When we moved forums that obviously broke down and had to be recreated. One of the issues we came up against was the inability for guests to post in the news and members who were logged in seeing a captcha. This was not acceptable so it took a few days for me to sort out but thankfully it now all works.
Regarding commenting on news, originally we had the news post into the community forum but as things move quite quickly here as far as content is concerned, we thought it best to create a separate forum for the news discussions. This reorganisation prevents any community forum discussion being lost in a pile of news. Your discussions are important after all.
Regarding accounts. Some of you have been registered here for over a decade and we have been helping members who have had login issues since the switch because they no longer have access to the email they originally registered with. If there are any of you still caught in that trap then we can sort it for you. Send an email here and we will deal with it.
With the new forums came new features, and something we’ve wanted to do for some time is highlight pro-active members and also award trophies for actions by the community. Elly sat down over a few days to come up with the points and reward system. You may have spotted the icons on threads but so you know how it works I have posted all of the trophies below for reference.
There are still a few things to do but the core updates are now in place. Your feedback on anything we do is much appreciated and a special thanks to the PALS who have helped make all the changes possible with their contributions.
Thread Starter -Points: 15 -You have started 5 Threads
Topic Raiser – Points: 45 -You have started 20 Threads
Town Cryer – Points: 90 -You have started 50 Threads
Confabulator – Points: 91 -You have started 80 Threads
Primary Source – Points: 1 – Somebody out there liked one of your posts.
- The Den of Evil Off Topics
- RoS: How are you Witch Doctors doing?
- New Hamachi Network - For Fun D2 Multi-player Gaming
- Etdlahq Memorial Bar - your shelter from forum…
- Resists vs. "Magic Damaged Reduced by..."
- PTR- Seasons Playthru
- 1.07 News, Info and Gossip
- 10 giveaway
- Seasonal Legendaries Now Enabled on the PTR: full…
- Updated Diablo 3 Patch 2.1 Notes for the PTR +…
- You think you know God? You probably do not.
Diablo 3 PTR v1.0.7 ChangesPosted 31 Jan 2013 by
Some game updates have been added to the PTR and the changes since the last update are as follows:
Rare Colossal Golgors will now count towards the “Rare Kill” achievements
Wave of Light
- Follow-up weapon damage increased from 390% to 829%
- Skill Rune – Explosive Light
- Weapon damage increased from 430% to 914%
- Skill Rune – Pillar of the Ancients
- Now deals 595% weapon damage followed by an additional 595% weapon damage after 2 seconds (up from 280% weapon damage)
A new crafting reagent, Demonic Essence, has been added to the game
- This reagent is account-bound and can be acquired from Elite monsters and bosses in Inferno difficulty
- Major in-game events that grant a stack of Nephalem Valor when completed now also have a chance to drop Demonic Essence
- Nephalem Valor will not be required in order for Demonic Essences to drop
- However, each level of Monster Power will increase the drop chance of Demonic Essence from Elites and bosses according to the following values:
- MP 0: 20.0000% 15.0000%
- MP 1: 23.0000% 16.5000%
- MP 2: 26.4500% 18.1500%
- MP 3: 30.4175% 19.9650%
- MP 4: 34.9801% 21.9615%
- MP 5: 40.2271% 24.1577%
- MP 6: 46.2612% 26.5734%
- MP 7: 53.2004% 29.2308%
- MP 8: 61.1805% 32.1538%
- MP 9: 70.3575% 35.3692%
- MP 10: 80.9112% 38.9061%
Similar to the Hellfire Ring, it will have four variants, each guaranteeing a fixed core stat which will have the highest range available in the game
- The values for several of the fixed core stats have been increased:
- Archon Spaulders:
- Dexterity, Intellect, and Vitality can now roll 201-230 in their respective stat (up from 100-115)
- Strength could already roll in this range, and so remains unchanged
- Archon Gauntlets:
- Strength and Vitality can now roll 201-230 in their respective stat (up from 100-115)
- Dexterity and Intellect could already roll in this range, and so remained unchanged
- Archon Armor:
- Strength, Dexerity, and Intellect can now roll 201-230 in their respective stat (up from 101-115)
- Strength, Dexeterity, Intellect, and Vitality can now roll 201-230 in their respective stat (up from 101-115)
- Archon Spaulders:
- Crafting the item will require 1 Demonic Essence (other reagent costs will vary per recipe)
- The Rare and Magic reagent costs for Archon Gloves and Razorspikes have been updated:
- Archon Gloves
- Now require 20 Iridescent Tears (instead of 50 Exquisite Essences)
- Now require 30 Exquisite Essence (instead of 25 Iridescent Tears)
- Archon Gloves
- The Rare and Magic reagent costs for Archon Gloves and Razorspikes have been updated:
- Weapon: Melee attackers take 2200 2500 per hit
- These gems can only be created at the Jeweler and will require the following reagents:
- 3 Radiant Star Gems
- 20 million gold
- 1 10 Demonic Essence
- Demon Hunters, Witch Doctors, and Wizards now receive a 30% damage reduction while in the Scorched Chapel
- Barbarians and Monks now receive a 35% damage reduction while in the Scorched Chapel
- Note: Barbarians and Monks are receiving an additional 5% reduction due to the fact that they generally need to be closer to their targets (as compared to Demon Hunters, Witch Doctors, and Wizards)
- Nek the Brawler has been evicted from the Slaughtered Calf Inn and now resides alongside your followers in Act I
- He’s now also available in the Act II and Act III/Act IV hubs
- A PvP chat channel has been added
Crafting Plans and Jeweler Designs have been added for all of the new Rare recipes listed above
- These plans (excluding the chest piece) will drop randomly in the world and also have a 50% chance to drop off the following bosses when you have 5 stacks of Nephalem Valor:
- Skeleton King
- Spider Queen
- Zoltun Kulle
- The drop rate from the above bosses will now scale according to your Monster Power level:
- MP 0: 20%
- MP 1: 23.2%
- MP 2: 26.912%
- MP 3: 31.218%
- MP 4: 36.213%
- MP 5: 42.007%
- MP 6: 48.728%
- MP 7: 56.524%
- MP 8: 65.568%
- MP 9: 76.059%
- MP 10: 88.228%
- Damage reflected back from the Reflects Damage affix should now be capped at 10% of the monster’s current health pool (overkill damage is not considered in the reflect)