Legendary Gems were first officially revealed in the Patch 2.1 preview blog back in June of this year. They will be added to Reaper of Souls in Patch 2.1, and are currently undergoing testing on the PTR.
The gems add special bonuses when socketed in rings and amulets (only on Characters and not on Followers), and can be upgraded in power via Urshi, the NPC who appears after Greater Rifts are cleared.
While the developers are calling them “legendary gems” these socketables have nothing in common with regular gems in stats or appearance, and are more analogous to the Rainbow Facet unique jewels of Diablo 2. The main difference in Diablo 3 is that these gems can only be socketed in jewelry, and the way the gems can be upgraded to improve their functions over time.
Legendary Gems Listing
While the Legendary Gems are still undergoing development on the PTR, their stats and bonuses are changing constantly. A major revision was created on July 15, 2014 with new or upgraded stats for almost every gem. The following are the most current details about Legendary Gems.
|Bane of the Powerful|
|Bane of the Trapped|
|Boon of the Hoarder|
|Bliz Note: As was discussed in another thread, allowing this this gem to rank up to +100% pet Crit would likely cause undesired gearing issues and probably be a little out of line.|
|Gem of Efficacious Toxin|
|Gogok of Swiftness|
|Mirinae, Teardrop of Starweaver|
It’s no surprise that the Monk class has been in need of some love pre 2.1. However with the second iteration of the patch on the PTR that need has not yet been abided. People are still clamoring for more sweeping changes(pun intended).
I was a heavy Monk user pre ROS and took a break with the xpac to delve into my first love(WD) and my new fling(crusader). I returned to the Monk only a few weeks ago and what I found was a shell of what I had left. After suffering for a long time as a WD it was nice when they finally rose to prominence. After a while on the top I wanted a new challenge and set my sights back on my monk, however even this challenge seems to daunting then all that time as a struggling WD. Diablo Forum MVP Druin put together an eloquent look at the myriad issues facing the class:
I am back from vacation and I am looking to write up a concise review of where we stand in 2.1.
My plan is to give a quick overview of our major issues then discuss the 2.1 changes and how they affect the various facets of our class.
I will be using this thread to fine-tune what we want to communicate to the devs and then I will make a major “state of monks in 2.1″ thread on the PTR forums to attempt to get some help for our lovely class!
1. Current Monk Issues
This is really at the forefront of the monk issues.
Since the release of RoS, monks have been having a tough time with DPS. We have a very limited range of options mostly centering around the skill Exploding Palm. (Un)fortunately EP is being changed as it breaks greater rifts (along with Rimeheart and Furnace) so our only source of widely competitive damage is going away. This leaves monks in a pretty bad spot.
Our spenders do very little damage (I mean VERY little) relative to their cost and our generators are used more as proc-vehicles for Odyn Son, Thunderfury, Shard of Hate and Rime/Furnace more than as sources of damage themselves. This leaves us with our 6pc Raiment of 1000 Storms which makes DS proc a 3000% weapon damage attack on cast. 3000% damage is a lot and it scales with lightning damage gear but DS has a flat-immutable 6 second cooldown. This can be mitigated to some extent by using Jawbreaker to give “free” dashing strike charges but that interaction is quite clunky.
Basically, monks will be forced into a clunky, hard-to-use situationally terrible Storm-breaker set in order to compete with other classes in damage. If they don’t want to use this mechanic, they will do very poor damage.
Next on the list is our ability to survive. This is a more controversial topic with some finding survival to be quite easy and many others finding it to be quite hard. In 2.1 with the change from dex giving dodge to dex giving armor and the change from OWE to Harmony, many monks who had minor synergy with OWE will see a minor tankiness boost. (my Raiment set for example)
On the other hand, monk who are deeply invested into OWE will see a major tankiness loss. (my Shatter-palm set). In either case, both types of monks probably have a lot of trouble living in T6 without 2x Unity or the constant dashing from Storm-breaker. Why is this? Because monks have to face-tank so much stuff.
Our primary source of resource generation comes from skills that require you to be up-close and personal with mobs which means a lot of damage can’t be avoided. To compensate for this, end-game monks are forced to take defensive passives (Harmony) defensive skills (Epiphany-shroud / Serenity / Inner Sanc / Blinding Flash) and CDR in basically every single spec. This is extremely limiting to the monk playstyle though arguably less of a problem than the DPS as the defensive skill/CDR solution does exist.
Additionally, sustain is nearly non-existent. LoH requires primary affixes which takes away from our already terrible DPS, LPS is the same, LPSS both takes primary affixes AND is extremely poor and Globes took a pretty big hit in 2.1. Monks actually have access to healing skills but, for some reason, they are tuned to be SO weak that they are essentially non-existent.
This is a more fundamental problem than the other two issues. Mere number tweaks would likely not result in this issue being resolved.
- Blizzard Makes Greater Rift Changes
- OT: Days of our Lives aka the Beacon's Billboard
- Walk before you can Crawl(ers): Ray of Frost bug
- [1.13d SC FAM FTS] ISO Oculus, Shako, Cold skillers…
- PTR- Seasons Playthru
- RoS: How are you Wizards doing?
- RoS: How are you Demon Hunters doing?
- RoS: How are you Barbs doing?
- Ladder - Does anyone still play?
- Common Core
- The Very Vanilla Homemade Mafia Game - Signups
- Most certainly not the last thing i'll ever wish for…
Diablo 3 Podcast #107: D3:RoS Gamescom Review Part 1Posted 26 Aug 2013 by
Flux is joined by Muggs and JrMint to discuss all the new Diablo 3:Reaper of Souls content from Gamescom. Paragon 2.0, Loot 2.0, Crusader first impression, Josh Mosqueira’s enthusiasm, Legendary hunting, and more.
- 0:30 — Intro, Muggs and JrMint speak on their recent play experiences and RoS excite.
- 4:00 — Paragon 2.0 preparation. Must not die with high level Hardcore until the system goes live. Flux’s recent Witch Doctor play spurs another rant about the Demon Hunter’s lack of a death-cheating passive.
- 11:10 — Paragon 2.0 bonuses discussion. Hard caps on any of the bonuses?
- 14:50 — Inferno shock at RoS install? Will lvl 60 chars get pwned instantly by Inferno lvl 70 enemies? Have to go back to Hell to level up and hunt gear? Upcoming end game bonus content. Nephalem Trials?
- 20:30 — Magic Find in the Sharagon System? Still inherent bonuses, or only from assigned Paragon points?
- 23:50 — Loot 2.0. Mystic rerolls; how do they work?
- 27:00 — Legendary item finding. Magic Find over 400% is magic time? Big boosts to legendary finding in D3X.
- 34:00 — Joshy Woshy Mosqueira’s enthusiasm compared to Jay Wilson’s exhausted last two years of Diablo III. Finding upgrades will be amazing, or so surprising that it’s just confusing? Bro-deals make trading more fun.
- 41:35 — Crusader first impressions. More pro than con. More exciting to SC than HC, since HC sees sword/board Monks and Barbs all the time — who can pass for a Crusader in bad lighting.
- 47:00 — Legendary items in D3X… will really be that buffed and awesome? Impossible to find any specific legs with so many now possible and high levels scaling down and low levels scaling up?
- 52:00 — D3:RoS beta start date prediction and release date prediction? Complaints about all gear needing replacement in an expansion pack? Zero sympathy from both guests on this point.
The Diablo 3 Podcast Episode Guide in DiabloWiki.net provides links to every show, plus quick summaries.
- Listen and subscribe through iTunes.
- View video versions of all The Diablo Podcasts on You Tube, via our all-encompassing Diablo3Inc channel.
- Get the Podcast RSS feed